NYCkayaker boathouses on the Hudson river in NYC

bonnie13@earthlink.net bonnie13@earthlink.net
Wed Nov 1 20:05:13 EST 2006

Sorry to add to the mayhem, but this came in while I was typing my last response. I'm curious now - do you have a car or are you paddling a folding kayak? When you are talking about sliding a boat over a railing, it's got to be one or the other.

There are an awful lot of people that I paddle with who have hardshells & no car. The dock access question is absolutely legitimate but for us to keep paddling the way we've been able to for the last few years, the actual waterfront storage with water access is the key.

Now when I say water access, I mean a dock, and I think it would be great if those docks could be made available to "unaffiliated" boaters (Pier 63 always was, but that's because the barge itself is privately owned). Having a permit just like the city park launches do seems like a good way to go.  Docks that are locked when there isn't some sort of staff person there in attendance are indeed of limited use.

As things stand, if they just put in docks without storage, the park would lose most of it's appeal for me.  I've done plenty of long paddles on weekends, but I also did a lot of shorter (2 hour) post-work paddles as things used to be. These were especially great in the summertime when I could travel light - just chuck some paddling clothes, lights, and my VHF in a backpack (everything else I kept with my boat at the barge). Always loved being able to do that - finish work, walk out the door & be on the water 45 minutes later - great. Add schlepping a folding kayak on the subway at rush hour, though, and it suddenly becomes a much bigger hassle - I'd probably just go the Sebago option 100% (actually I'm really enjoying that club & if the barge does reopen for kayak storage I'll probably move my Romany back to the hudson but maintain my club membership anyways) & accept the fact that my after-work paddles just aren't going to be as simple as they used to be.

Gotta say that this has been one of the more interesting debates we've had on nyckayaker in a long time - y'know, I talked about the Trust not realizing the breadth of paddling that's going on right there in their own park - well, but I now see that what my picture didn't include is that there are obviously those of you who aren't as fixated on the storage but who still would like water access in the park -

interesting stuff...