NYCkayaker UPPER DELAWARE RIVER SPRING TRIP 2010

Lee Reiser/Leona Fontaine lee060@earthlink.net
Sun Apr 18 12:43:16 EDT 2010

*** PLEASE NOTE ADDITIONAL INFO AT BOTTOM OF MESSAGE

    I’m planning a trip on the Delaware River, on Saturday and Sunday, May 1st & 2nd. We will start from Narrowsburg, NY on Sat. morning at 9:00 am sharp, immediately following a safety briefing at 8:30 AM. We will travel down stream to Lackawaxen, Pa (11 miles, 2-3 hours float time). The higher the river, the faster it is. If so, it may take less time to finish than at normal river levels.
    At this time of year the river is very swift and cold consisting of 8-10 sets of class I&II rapids, so full wet or dry suits are a must as well as extra paddles, PFDs and spray skirts. Throw ropes, tow ropes, VHF radios and whistles are also a good idea. For the safety of all novices, we will bifurcate to take a line of descent out of the most severe rapids, but those who are advanced will be allowed in the large standing waves. Many repeat-trip experts will be on hand to assist newcomers. In addition, there will be a safety meeting before launching as well as a brief before each set of the different rapids. There are rocks in the river, which we will do our best to avoid so, a plastic boat is preferable to wood or glass. I use a 17 foot plastic sea kayak. The scenery - beautiful! We have seen many bald eagles and other wildlife on the trips throughout the years, so bring your cameras.
Drive time from the GWB is 2 hours to northernmost point, which is Narrowsburg, NY.

                                                      SAT. DIRECTIONS - PRINT AND BRING
                                                      Meet  8:00 am Lackawaxen, PA

   Quickest way: Take the TZB, (or GWB-upper level to Palisades Pkwy-N), to I-87-N, then exit 16 to Rte. 17-WEST (not south to NJ), to I-84-W, to the Port Jervis exit, Follow Rte. 6-W through town. Then, take Rte. 97/42-N, or---
(Alternate: GWB to I-80-W, to Rte. 15-N, to Rte. 206-N, to Rte. 521-N, to Rte. 6-W, to Rte. 97/42-N.)Rtes. 97/42 eventually split. Stay on 97.

We will then proceed 22 mi. north on 97 to the Roebling Bridge and turn left over the bridge. At the end, make a right turn and follow road around to the Zane Grey Museum. The take out is directly in front. There is a walk-to deli nearby to obtain breakfast and/or lunch and to use their facilities. We leave some cars here to shuttle back and then proceed to the launch at Narrowsburg, NY.
(IF YOU MISS US AT THE TAKE OUT, PROCEED TO THE LAUNCH)
Stay on 97 N. Follow signs for Narrowsburg. At blinker, leave 97 and bear left for Rte. 652.  Just past the only traffic light in town, look for the Tusten Theater and turn right at the Landers Campground sign onto DeMauro Lane (across from Chinese restaurant). If you cross over the Delaware, you will have gone too far. Proceed to the launch.

  We will have a longer 22 mi. trip on Sunday  from Lackawaxen to Sparrowbush. Bring your camp gear if you want to camp Sat. eve in Narrowsburg, at Landers Campgrounds. This will be our base of operations. They have a 3-sided, wooden lean-to for around $18/person (tents OK, but not needed).  Great HOT showers and walk-to restaurants. Contact them at 845-252-3925 from 9-5 or 24/7 at:
                  www.landersrivertrips.com

                                                             SUN. DIRECTIONS - PRINT AND BRING
                                                             Meet  8:00 am Sparrowbush, NY

    Follow Sat. Directions (paragraph one, above).
Just past the 97/42 split for Rio, look for a small wooden sign which reads - SPARROWBUSH, NY STATE FISHING ACCESS.
Make a 45 degree left at that sign onto a street called Hook Rd. Follow down to the end. Here, we will need to transfer kayaks and gear and leave some vehicles in order to retrieve the vehicles which will be left upriver. (IF YOU MISS US AT THE TAKEOUT, PROCEED TO LAUNCH AT LACKAWAXEN AS ABOVE)

YOU MUST CALL WITH YOUR PLANS BEFORE SAT. IN ORDER TO FACILITATE SHUTTLE TRANSPORT. There is no cell phone service north of Sparrowbush. This is an individual, not a group event. I will not assume any liability for this trip. You must have proper gear and have advanced or intermediate experience to participate on this trip. Join at your own risk. Hope to see you there!

*** There is some talk of lenthening the Sat. trip from Milanville in order to go through Skinners Falls,( easy run, short Class II). This will add 5-6 miles onto the trip,(not 11, but 16 mi.) and of course this will change the directions on Saturday's meetup. So, I need to hear from you if you are attending and if you would like to enjoy this option.

Lee Reiser
Contact via back channel or:
Home 845-352-0162
Cell 914-374-7954