[NYCkayaker] Gowanus Challenge June 15th Mark Your Calendars!

Tim Gamble tgamble_2000@yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 12:16:57 EDT 2013

Hey Guys,

This is not an April Fools Joke, this is real!!

The Gowanus Dredgers and the Red Hook Boaters are holding a historic race this June called The Gowanus Challenge!

The race is historic because, to the best of our knowledge… this is the first race where entire course, and the ensuing awards banquet will be held completely on a US Government sanctioned Superfund site. We were unable to get USOC sanctioning, so we'll settle for EPA.  The race and lunch party are on June 15th 2013 and we challenge all other boathouses to field teams, and independent kayakers to come on their own and join the fun!

For updates about entry, prizes, and the fantastic post race party as the event are planned please visit our Gowanus Challenge page at: http://www.gowanuscanal.org/race

We hereby officially issue a challenge to you, and/or your boathouse to test your mettle on our home turf, the mighty Gowanus Canal, once the life blood of industrial Brooklyn, now being called the “Venice of Brooklyn” by real estate developers. The course is a 2.5 mile round trip from the Dredgers Boathouse to the mouth of the canal and back.

The Gowanus Challenge is open to all canoes and other closed-bottom boat (kayaks, skiffs, etc). Race runs from the Dredgers Boathouse to the mouth of the canal and back. Team Registrations open today and remember to list your "team name" in the designation section. Our goal is for each canoe team to raise a $500 "minimum pledge" and kayaks / other boats to raise $250 "minimum pledge" so forward this to your friends, family, classmates and co-workers and tell them to make a donation to support your team. We'll post results weekly on our race page and will award a special prize to the team that raises the most funds!

The race will start at 11:00am from the Dredgers 2nd Street dock on June 15 (6/23 rain date) with 10:30 registration and equipment checks. This is a fundraising event to provide critical money to support for the Dredgers and their activity committees programs, but we absolutely guarantee this will be one of the best paddling events of your summer.