[NYCkayaker] {NYCWTA} Funding dropped for USGS monitoring in NYC.

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 13:58:50 EDT 2013

Thank you, Harry. I added your link to the HarborLAB post.

Below is my exchange with the director of the USGS NY Water Science Center.

Erik,

Thanks for your interest in USGS streamgages.  The list of those sites that
are currently threatened in New York is available at:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/rt/

Here are several other links help describe streamgage uses.  The actual
instrumentation at each site does vary depending on the installation and
the stream.  This can range from a stilling well to an accoustic velocity
meter.

Fact Sheets describe maintenance costs
<http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2010/3025/pdf/fs2010-3025.pdf>and
USGS streamgage operation ( 1,
<http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2011/3001/pdf/fs2011-3001.pdf>
2,  <http://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/tm3A19/>3,
<http://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/tm3-a7/>4<http://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/tm3-a8/>
).

Both streamgaging and groundwater monitoring can help understand the
impacts from stormwater runoff.  Effective stormwater management can reveal
itself in reduced streamflow during storm events and reduced groundwater
infiltration.  Streamflow data are also important in calculating pollutant
loads and the potential reduction in those loads as a result of effective
stormwater management.

Groundwater flooding is a real concern in some areas of the Five Boroughs
and good long-term groundwater level information is needed to effectively
understand the causes and potential solutions to that flooding.

Please let me know if you have additional questions after viewing this
information.

Ward

   ______________________
   Ward O. Freeman, Director
   U.S. Geological Survey -- New York Water Science Center,
   425 Jordan Rd. Troy NY 12180-8349
   *http://ny.usgs.gov* <http://ny.usgs.gov/>
   wfreeman@usgs.gov
   (518) 285-5665
   fax: 285-5601

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Harbor LAB <harborlab@gmail.com> wrote:

> Learning Adventure Boating!
> www.harborlab.org
> Or find us on Facebook here <http://www.facebook.com/harborlab>!
>

> Dear Mr. Freeman,
>
> Could you please point me to descriptions of the streamgages affected by
> the budget woes? Basically, how they're constructed and maintained -- what
> technology is involved?
>
> Also, in NYC we're more concerned with runoffs causing sewage overflows
> than with localized droughts, since our drinking water comes from upstate.
> Is USGS data used by the NYC DEP in its runoff measurements?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Erik Baard