[NYCkayaker] Lake Tiorati Trip Report & Pass Availability

stevepete64@aol.com stevepete64@aol.com
Sun Apr 21 11:24:20 EDT 2013

Harrimans a great place to paddle and hike . Ya forgot to mention Island Pond which is My favorite .

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Reiser/Leona Fontaine <lee060@earthlink.net>
To: YPRC <YPRC@listserv.adelphi.edu>; NYCkayaker <NYCkayaker@rockandwater.net>
Sent: Sun, Apr 21, 2013 5:26 am
Subject: [NYCkayaker] Lake Tiorati Trip Report & Pass Availability

Hi All,
 Paddled Lake Tiorati in Harriman State Park Yesterday. Sunny with a few clouds
scudding by. Very windy, 15-20 knots with 25 knot gusts. Water temperature taken
with my trusty pool thermometer was 49 degrees! Glad I had the drysuit with
underneath layers on! Went out alone so I stayed close to the shoreline all
around the perimeter of the lake and made sure I had all my self rescue safety
gear handy.
 Saw 3-4 active Beaver lodges and many Canada Geese nests with a male or female
hunkered down incubating their eggs. Didn't see the giant female Snapping Turtle
in her usual place yet. Perhaps it was too cold for her.

 I buy a pass and gate key ($45)from the Palsades Interstate Park System every
year which allows me to paddle Lakes Welch, Sebago, Kanawaukee, Skannitati,
Askoti, Stahahi, Silvermine, Turkey Lake etc., as well as the subject lake. Also
lets me paddle at Lake Minnewaska (small but gorgeous) near New Paltz and to
launch and paddle at Nyack Beach State Park, Upper Nyack NY, where one can
paddle along the cliffs or walk (pass not needed) along the Riverside Trail all
the way to Haverstraw and back.

 If you are interested in purchasing this pass, bring each boat ($30/each) along
with a paddle and a PFD. You must have these and show them to a Park Ranger to
get a key($15). Boat inspections and passes issued at Tiorati Circle Ranger
Station, Seven Lakes Parkway which can be accessed off of Rte 17 N. Sloatsburg,
NY
 Be safe out there especially now,
Lee
service offered to the kayaking community by the Hudson River Watertrail
Association. Learn more about HRWA at www.hrwa.org