[NYCkayaker] Looking for extended-trip ideas in Northeast

Gordon, Peter pgordon@tc.edu
Sun Apr 21 17:40:13 EDT 2013

Hi Steven,

We spend summers on Moosehead Lake in Northern Maine.  It's about 30-40
miles across with many other smaller lakes to explore as well.  Generally
uncrowded, often you'll only see a few other boats, and it's big enough to
get away from others.  It's also near Mount Katahdin and Baxter State Park,
which is the northern most end of the Appalachian trail.  Lots of mountains
to climb and beautiful lake scenery, and Moose of course!  Camping is
plentiful and generally available.  No reservations needed, just pitch your
tent and pay the ranger when they come by. Thoreau wrote about the area in
his travels in the Northern Maine. Let me know if you want more info, I can
help you with the locals if needed.  It's about a 9 hour drive from NYC.
 Here's a useful website:

http://www.moosehead.net/

Peter

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Steven Leslie <stevenmleslie@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I've begun to research where to take a multi-day kayak camping trip this
> summer. I'd appreciate any suggestions and trip reports about good spots in
> the Northeast US/Canada.
>
> This outing will have to be on fresh and generally gentle water since
> we'll taking small kids. Natural beauty, easily available camping and few,
> or no, portages are also part of the equation.
>
> Last summer we went to Lake George, which was great until the powerboats
> showed up for the weekend. The lower Delaware downriver from Port Jervis is
> nice too, but too short and lacking in camping for this 5-6 day trip.
>
> Saranac Lakes is probably my top pick at the moment, since I ventured out
> there a few years ago. I'm looking at trip reports on the Adirondacks and
> upper Connecticut River. Please share any enjoyable experiences you've had.
>
> Thanks,
> Steven

Peter Gordon, Associate Professor
1155 Thorndike Hall
Teachers College, Columbia University, Box 180
525 W120th St.
New York, NY 10027
Phone: 212 678-8162
Fax:     212 678-8233