[NYCkayaker] Looking for extended-trip ideas in Northeast

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak@gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 11:58:13 EDT 2013

I agree with Laurie, but be aware that strong winds can be an issue at the
Thousand Islands.
Then again, winds can be an issue at many great paddling locations.

I have camped on most of the Islands that allow camping.

I recommend sticking to the Canadian side to avoid any border issues.
Also, I recommend parking and a launching from Misty Islands Lodge:
http://www.mistyisles.ca<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mistyisles.ca%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEDkNVbRbNtlVRIGLyzPFuupRL3Rg>
It is near Sugar Island. Allow for inexpensive parking and other services.

Stevie

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Laurie Bleich <kayakmidwifelb@gmail.com>wrote:

> Another great area is the thousand islands in Canada-it's really beautiful
> with fresh water and basically no tides so you don't have to plan anything.
>  There are tons of really cute little islands and it's alot of fun.
>  There's also an ACA island there where you can stay if you're an ACA
> member-it's Sugar Island.
>
> Laurie Bleich
> On Apr 21, 2013, at 2:22 PM, Steven Leslie wrote:
>
> > I've begun to research where to take a multi-day kayak camping trip this
> summer. I'd appreciate any suggestions and trip reports about good spots in
> the Northeast US/Canada.
> >
> > This outing will have to be on fresh and generally gentle water since
> we'll taking small kids. Natural beauty, easily available camping and few,
> or no, portages are also part of the equation.
> >
> > Last summer we went to Lake George, which was great until the powerboats
> showed up for the weekend. The lower Delaware downriver from Port Jervis is
> nice too, but too short and lacking in camping for this 5-6 day trip.
> >
> > Saranac Lakes is probably my top pick at the moment, since I ventured
> out there a few years ago. I'm looking at trip reports on the Adirondacks
> and upper Connecticut River. Please share any enjoyable experiences you've
> had.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steven

"The more you know, the less you need"