[NYCkayaker] {NYCWTA} kayak race timer arrested yesterday?

Adelene Tan ayt2003@columbia.edu
Mon Apr 22 19:08:41 EDT 2013

Don't believe everything you read in the news - especially the NY Post!

The were multiple distortions in the story.  He was not riding against
traffic and was not riding amongst the runners.  He stopped immediately
when told to do so.  He did have ID and readily provided it.  I imagine if
he didn't stop immediately or provide ID, he would have been arrested.

Half the road was reserved for the race participants by cones while the
other half was used by everyone else - runners not part of the race, people
with strollers, and cyclists including myself.  I was carrying a large
backpack and did not see any signs about backpacks nor did anyone tell me
that backpacks were not allowed.

He was unaware that a running race was scheduled in the park.  He was
commuting to meet a friend and get a ride to the pool session where the
timer is used.