[NYCkayaker] Kayak race timer arrested yesterday?

Paz764 paz764@aol.com
Tue Apr 23 10:01:43 EDT 2013

Thank you Elizabeth. Let's stop beating a dead horse. Next subject.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter <priley347@gmail.com>
To: nyckayaker <nyckayaker@rockandwater.net>
Sent: Tue, Apr 23, 2013 9:46 am
Subject: Re: [NYCkayaker] Kayak race timer arrested yesterday?

this is the sort of corollary damage terrorism brings.
rumors, accusations, misinformation.
No one who was not there really knows anything but our own opinions.
Even if you were there you don't know beyond your perceptions.
Must agree with Elizabeth here

  On 4/23/2013 8:44 AM, Elizabeth Powers wrote:
> This is the weakest, lamest discussion I have encountered on this list, and
there have been plenty. Can we give it a break?

"nyc-water-trail@googlegroups.com" <nyc-water-trail@googlegroups.com>
> Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 11:18 PM
> Subject: [NYCkayaker] Kayak race timer arrested yesterday?
>

> My question: if he had ID on him then why was he taken to his house to obtain
& provide ID? That makes no sense.

> And, if we are to question everything, why must we accept Adelene's post and
ignore what was published? Was she present or was she told what happened?

> Of all the people in the park that day, if he was w/of fault then why is he in
the paper?

> I default to what I was taught as a child. If you get in trouble then you are
in trouble even if you were not wrong in the first place.

> Richard C. Clifford, Esq.
> Cell: 917.854.5824
> www.richardcliffordlaw.com
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 22, 2013, at 11:06 PM, "Donna Stein" <onnaday@mail.com> wrote:
>
>> The point is that anyone of us could have been in the same situation,
>> we should be respectful on this list
>> and not call others names
>> nor jump to conclusions.
>> and in case anyone missed it, Adelene has knowledge of the situation and it
isn't as reported"Don't believe everything you read in the news - especially the
NY Post! The were multiple distortions in the story. He was not riding against
traffic and was not riding amongst the runners. He stopped immediately when told
to do so. He did have ID and readily provided it. I imagine if he didn't stop
immediately or provide ID, he would have been arrested. Half the road was
reserved for the race participants by cones while the other half was used by
everyone else - runners not part of the race, people with strollers, and
cyclists including myself. I was carrying a large backpack and did not see any
signs about backpacks nor did anyone tell me that backpacks were not allowed. He
was unaware that a running race was scheduled in the park. He was commuting to
meet a friend and get a ride to the pool session where the timer is used."The
press isn't always fair
>   reporting. Question everyth!
> in!
>> g. Donna

find it hard to believe that you wouldn't hear from someone that an explosive
was intentionally set off in your own Country killing three one of which was an
8 yr old boy . -----Original Message----- From: Robert Huszar
<r-huszar@panix.com> To: nyc watertrail list <nyc-water-trail@googlegroups.com>
Cc: stevepete64 <stevepete64@aol.com>; Martin Kaminer <martin.kaminer@gmail.com>;
nyckayaker** <nyckayaker@rockandwater.net> Sent: Mon, Apr 22, 2013 2:58 pm
Subject: Re: [NYCkayaker] {NYCWTA} kayak race timer arrested yesterday? Nancy is
right! Most of us on this list have multiple sports we are involved in:
kayaking, biking, running, roller blading, hiking, etc. I myself am a biker,
and, truthfully, I very often go for long periods without watching or listening
to the news; and I very frequently ride with a backpack. That individual could
have easily been me. So, yes, we should
>   refrain from that kind of j!
> ud!
>> gment on this forum. Bob Huszar On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Nancy Brous wrote: >
were there signs at every entrance to the park announcing the ban on > bikes and
backpacks? > i am a runner and a cyclist yet i was unaware of this ban. it could
> have been me riding to my mom's apartment with a bag on my back. > i agree
that nypd did what they should have, including releasing the > guy when they
were confident that he was not a threat. > > please do not call people names on
this list. he may or may not be a > knucklehead but it's not ours to judge or
pronounce. regardless, this > is not the place for it. > its just a matter of
common courtesy. > consider this a respectful request from the list owners. > >
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM, <stevepete64@aol.com> wrote: >>
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/stunt_bombs_with_cops_at_ny_race_x0TKdeBhdDWiINWBgGyTFP
>> This Knucklehead should have been locked up for sheer stupidity .Bombing of
>> the Boston marathon
>   is fresh on everyone's!
>    !
>> mind except his, so he decides to >> ride against traffic with a backpack in
the middle of a Central park running >> race lol . The NYPD did an Excellent job
stopping this guy and checking him >> out . >> >> >> >> -----Original
Message----- >> From: Martin Kaminer <martin.kaminer@gmail.com> >> To: Nancy
Brous <nbrous@gmail.com> >> Cc: nyckayaker post <nyckayaker@rockandwater.net>;
nyc watertrail list >> <nyc-water-trail@googlegroups.com> >> Sent: Mon, Apr 22,
2013 7:29 am >> Subject: Re: [NYCkayaker] {NYCWTA} kayak race timer arrested
yesterday? >> >> Guy should be very glad he wasn't carrying a starter pistol!
He'd be in >> Guantanamo by now, or worse. :) >> >> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at
10:18 AM, Nancy Brous <nbrous@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> i totally agree, agassi.
usual - he is a cyclist and this is how he carries things. it sounds >>> like
his only possible "crime" was
>   riding against traffic !
> i!
>> n the park. >>> >>> this was the perfect storm of high alert and someon!
>> e by chance >>> carrying something that, having seen it myself (its a little
slow!), >>> looks like what one imagines an incendiary device looks like -
timer, >>> switches, wires, and home-made. >>> but in spite of looking like
something Wile E Coyote would fabricate >>> to catch the road runner, the
"device" is intended for a totally >>> legitimate use and our cyclist friend has
at least 12 people who can >>> vouch for its actual use as a sprint-timer. >>>
>>> one thing that bothers me is that i fear if he weren't an >>>
english-speaking blue-eyed white guy, he'd be in jail right now or >>> worse.
>>> wrote: >>>> I know the person and feel really bad about this incident. >>>>
Naturally there was no ill intent on his part. When it comes to the >>>>
timer-its used for timing practices and sprint drills. >>>> I don't know what
the outcomes of this incident should be as I was
>   not >>> there >>>> and !
> d!
>> on't know the details but I would assume that biker may get a >>>> ticket
members of society we >>>> should alter our lives in fear of causing high alert.
and people paid to >>>> protect us should do what they need to keep us safe,
hopefully without >>>> abusing power. and if we happen to cross the line-not
forget to rectify >>> the >>>> damage. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>
________________________________ >>>> From: Ray Fusco <Ray@rayfuscoinc.com> >>>>
To: NYC Water Trail <nyc-water-trail@googlegroups.com>; nyckayaker post >>>>
<nyckayaker@rockandwater.net> >>>> Sent:
>   Monday, April 22, 2013 9!
> :!
>> 20 AM >>>> Subject: {NYCWTA} kayak race timer arrested yesterday? >>>> !
was a small incident where police stopped a man on a bike riding >>>> against
race traffic with a large backpack. Inside his backpack was a >>>> cardboard box
with holes for triggers and a screen with a clock, which >>> had >>>> NYPD ready
to arrest him. >>>> >>>> In the end, he was a timer on his way to time a kayak
race and his >>>> timing >>>> equipment was in a box to protect it from weather.
I'm wondering if >>> anyone >>>> might know who this person is and what kind of
timing equipment he might >>>> have had? >>>> >>>> As far as I know, he was
released but some people were upset that he >>> should >>>> not have been in the
park riding against a race with everyone on high >>> alert. >>>> My thought is
that he probably had no idea about the race. >>>> >>>> Ray Fusco >>>> >>>> --
Groups >>>> "NYC
to this group, send email to nyc-water-trail@googlegroups.com. >>>> For more
options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>
and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>> an >>>> email to
nyc-water-trail+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. >>>> To post to this group, send
public service offered to the kayaking community by the Hudson River >>>
Association. Learn more about HRWA at www.hrwa.org

Association. Learn more about HRWA at www.hrwa.org

service offered to the kayaking community by the Hudson River Watertrail
Association. Learn more about HRWA at www.hrwa.org

service offered to the kayaking community by the Hudson River Watertrail
Association. Learn more about HRWA at www.hrwa.org