[NYCkayaker] Manhattan Circ Sat. 7/27 @6:45 AM from Dyckman St on the Hudson

Gerald Blackstone jerrysnowbird@yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 10:15:16 EDT 2013

Hi All:

Steve Blumling, Margrethe Horlyck-Romanovsky, Phil Giller and I
Are planning our annual paddle around Manhattan Island on Saturday, July 27
On 7/27 the ebb current starts at Hell Gate, Astoria at 2:35 PM
(Our rain date will be 7/28--about an hour later)

We'll meet at Dyckman Street kayak launch on the Hudson River
This is at the northern end of Manhattan in an area called Inwood
Arrive between 5 AM and 5:45 AM
Unload your kayak and gear, then park your car
Launch at 6:45 AM SHARP

Getting to the launch site:
1) Drive there by taking the Henry Hudson Parkway to exit 17
    And proceed west on Dyckman Street for one or two blocks to the end
2)Take the A Train (Subway) to the Broadway and Dyckman station
    And walk west on Dyckman Street five blocks to the Hudson River

From the launch we'll paddle south on the Hudson on a strong ebb (outgoing) current.
Once we get to the southern end of Manhattan, we'll layover at Pier 40
Then cross the Battery in tight formation around 10:30 AM and head toward Brooklyn.
Paddle north on the East River--assisted by a strong flood current.
Take the east channel along Roosevelt Island.

Arrive at Hallets Cove Beach in Astoria Queens around 12:30 PM
Have lunch on the beach or at adjacent Socrates Sculpture Garden Park
And maybe visit the Noguchi Museum--just three blocks away

At 2:35 PM the current is calm or slack before the ebb at Hell Gate
So, we'll cross the East River at the northern tip of Roosevelt Island
Then head north on the west side of Mill Rock
And paddle up the Harlem River as it ebbs north into the Hudson

Stop for a break around 5 PM at Swindlers Cove Marina at Dyckman St on the Harlem R
The park itself is well worth a tour
So it the adjacent floating Peter Sharpe Boathouse

Once back underway, continue paddling north on the Harlem River
After cruising through Spuyten Duyvil at the northern end of Manhattan
We'll aim to arrive back at our put-in somewhere between 6:30 and 7 PM

When kayaks and gear is packed back on cars
Then perhaps celebrate at restaurant adjacent to the launch--LaMarina

This 30 mile excursion around Manhattan is not a race
It is a chance for kayakers to socialize, exercise, explore and take pictures.
But--at all times we need to stay alert since this is a busy waterway.

If you would like to join us, mark your calendar
And, let us know by registering using the link below:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ManhCirc2013

Best Regards,
Jerry Blackstone
cell 914 318 4630