[NYCkayaker] 200 Paddlers on the Hudson - Peekskill Riverfront Green Today, August 5, 1:30 pm

Donna Stein onnaday@mail.com
Tue Aug 6 09:29:49 EDT 2013

Donna <onnaday@mail.com> wrote:Dear Friends - This is an amazing experience and I feel so honored to be part of this chapter of the struggle. Please join us for the events in th re next few days. Aug 10th festival is going to be a huge celebration amd everyone concerned with social and envirionmental justice will be glad to be there. Hope to see many of you there.
Gotta go charge my phone on the solar charger, have a big breakfast, pack up my tent (thanks for that JK) , have a meeting (sounds familiar there) and get on the water.
Gonna be a great day!
Peace Justice Unity
Donna
--
Sent from my Android phone with http://mail.com  Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

marilyn elie <eliewestcan@gmail.com> wrote:The renewal journey of Two Row Wampum is an adventure of epic proportions. I was at their Beacon landing on Saturday and heard the story for the first time. Elder Oren Lyons held up the actual belt from 1613 and told the story of the first treaty between the Iroquois Nation and early Dutch settlers. George Washington held the same Two Row as Oren held up for us all to see. All subsequent treaties followed the example of Two Row. The two rows stand for two equal peoples traveling parallel paths in peace on the river of life, each respecting the traditions of the other. Supporting their journey and the renewal of the covenant is "polishing the silver chain of friendship.' The paddlers will be traveling down river to NYC where they will be received at the United Nations. They will make land Croton, Yonkers Paddling Club/ Beczak Environmental Center, Inwood Park, and finally Pier 96 in NYC. On August 10th there will be a Two Row Festiva!
 l in NYCl. Check their web site for details. www.honorthetworow.org http://www.honorthetworow.org/ . I do apologize for the short notice and hope that you will be able connect with this remarkable project somewhere along the way. They may never come this way again. Don't miss it.

Marilyn Elie

Attachment(s)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For More Information
Lindsay Speer, Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign, (315) 383-7210 tel:%28315%29%20383-7210
Andy Mager, Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign, (315) 559-7058 tel:%28315%29%20559-7058
Jeanne Shenandoah, Onondaga Nation Communications Office, (315) 952-0467 tel:%28315%29%20952-0467
MEDIA ADVISORY
TWO ROW WAMPUM RENEWAL CAMPAIGN
AMERICAN INDIANS CONSIDER IMPACT OF “INDIAN POINT” NUCLEAR FACILITY, FRACKING, CLIMATE CHANGE
WHO: 200 Native and non-Native paddlers in canoes and kayaks, part of the Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign 0f the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois Confederacy) elders and supporters.
Available for Interviews: Cayuga Nation Chief Sam George; Jake Edwards of the Onondaga Nation Council of Chiefs; Onondaga elder Jeanne Shenandoah; Andy Mager, Project Coordinator for the Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign; Marilyn Elie, Indian Point Safe Energy Coalition.
WHAT/VISUAL: 200 indigenous and non indigenous Paddlers of the Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign and its environmental message with Indian Point nuclear facility in the background.
WHEN: Today, MONDAY, AUGUST 5
1:30 PM (approximate) paddlers arrive in two rows. Press invited for lunch and press conference.
2:30 PM Boats depart Peekskill
~3:30 PM – Paddlers will pause near Indian Point nuclear facility to consider its impact on the environment.
WHERE: Peekskill Riverfront Green Park, Peekskill NY
This event is part of the Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign. Over 200 paddlers left the Albany area on July 28th and will paddle for 13 days, ultimately arriving at Pier 96 in NYC on August 9. They will then walk to the United Nations to honor the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples. The paddlers consist of roughly equal numbers of Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples, paddling side-by-side in two lines to honor and bring to life the imagery of the Two Row Wampum.
The Two Row Wampum is the first treaty between the Haudenosaunee (or Iroquois Confederacy) and the first settlers (the Dutch). Created 400 years ago this year, it teaches how to coexist together in peace and friendship, respect sovereignty, and share the responsibility to take care of the environment. The Haudenosaunee have kept the treaty, while it has been largely forgotten by Americans, even though both the English and American governments adopted its protocols.
“The Two Row is the oldest and is the grandfather of all subsequent treaties,” said Oren Lyons, Faithkeeper of the Onondaga Nation’s Turtle Clan who has represented the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy in world councils at the United Nations and elsewhere.
“The words ‘as long as the sun shines, as long as the waters flow downhill, and as long as the grass grows green’ can be found in many treaties after the 1613 treaty,” Lyons said. “It set a relationship of equity and peace. This campaign is to remind people of the importance of the agreements.”
"Each line of the wampum belt represents each of our laws, governments, languages, cultures, our ways of life," Jake Edwards of the Onondaga Nation Council of Chiefs explains. "It is agreed that we will travel together, side by each, on the river of life... linked by peace, friendship, forever. We will not try to steer each others' vessels." Edwards emphasizes the need to respect the laws of nature, to protect the river of life which we share.
“This treaty is not just about the past,” explains Andy Mager, the Project Coordinator for the campaign and a member of Neighbors of the Onondaga Nation, “it is about the future as well. Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution states that treaties are the supreme law of the land. Understanding and honoring the Two Row Wampum can improve relations between our peoples and remind us of our responsibilities to the Earth which we all share. We need this now more than ever.”
###
The Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign is a joint project between Neighbors of the Onondaga Nation and the Onondaga Nation to raise awareness of the first treaty between the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) and European settlers, created 400 years ago this year. It explains our responsibilities to coexist together in peace and friendship, respect sovereignty, and to take care of the environment. The project was officially endorsed by the Haudenosaunee Grand Council of Chiefs in January, 2013 and involves people from all six Haudenosaunee nations. The campaign is co-sponsored by over 85 organizations statewide. To learn more visit www.honorthetworow.org http://www.honorthetworow.org/ .

Honor Native Treaties & Protect the Earth
Support the Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign
http://www.honorthetworow.org
 *Lindsay Speer*
Community Organizer
512 Jamesville Ave | Syracuse, NY 13210
315-475-2559 phone | 315-475-2465 fax
lspeer@mrss.com https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/lkerns@mrss.com%20

Attachment(s) from marilyn elie
1 of 1 File(s)

HV 2013 Two Row media advisory Peekskill Indian Point.doc http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/4348796/1723455225/name/HV%202013%20Two%20Row%20media%20advisory%20Peekskill%20Indian%20Point%2Edo
Reply via web post http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IPSEC1/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxYzNxYW1jBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQzNDg3OTYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDQ0MzUxBG1zZ0lkAzEyOTM4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTM3NTY3NTM1Ng--?act=reply&messageNum=12938  eliewestcan@gmail.com?subject=Re%3A%20200%20Paddlers%20on%20the%20Hudson%20-%20Peekskill%20Riverfront%20Green%201%3A30%20pm  IPSEC1@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20200%20Paddlers%20on%20the%20Hudson%20-%20Peekskill%20Riverfront%20Green%201%3A30%20pm Start a New Topic http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IPSEC1/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbTVhbjE0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQzNDg3OTYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDQ0MzUxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM3NTY3NTM1Ng-- Messages in this topic http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IPSEC1/message/12938;_ylc=X3oDMTM2YXI3ZHVtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQzNDg3OTYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDQ0MzUxBG1zZ0lkAzEyOTM4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM3NTY3NTM1NgR0cGNJZAMxMjkzOA--  (1)
Recent Activity: