[NYCkayaker] Paddle for A Cure

Peggy Navarre peggyn2@earthlink.net
Thu Aug 8 21:47:08 EDT 2013

We are, surprisingly and happily at exactly one month before the event, already at 1/2 capacity for registration. You should register now as we have a hard people  maximum as per our permit.

The Third Annual
Paddle for a Cure
Benefitting the Support Connection
sponsored by
The Hudson River Watertrail Association
Sunday September 8, 2013

Join us for a great day of paddling on the Hudson River while raising money for an excellent cause. Building on last years successful ‘poker-paddle’ fundraiser, we will follow the same 11 mile course (assisted by the river’s current) up a beautiful stretch of the Hudson River from Peekskill to Cold Spring (yes, we will be doing the reverse this year).

Participants will pick up playing cards at specific points along the way, hoping to to produce the best ‘poker’ hand. A fabulous prize awaits the winning hand at the finish. After the paddle, celebrate a fun and rewarding day on the water with a picnic, beer, great raffles and prizes.

Net proceeds from the paddle and raffle will benefit Support Connection (Breast and Ovarian Cancer Support) (www.supportconnection.org).

A $60 entry fee gets you ACA insurance for the event, breakfast, sports-wicking event logo hat, picnic lunch, and a raffle ticket. A guaranteed donation of $25 per entry is made to the Cause in addition to proceeds from a raffle.

If needed, we can assist with arrangements to rent a boat from Hudson Valley Outfitters at www.hudsonvalleyoutfitters.com or Atlantic Kayak Tours at info@akt.com. We will have a few sit on top kayaks available to rent too (email us at president @hrwa.org). A free shuttle will ensure that you and your boat are together at the same place at the end of the day.

Kayaks, canoes, SUPs, Whitehall rowing gigs, rank beginners, seasoned paddlers and teams of friends and co-workers are encouraged to join us.

Registration is open at Brown Paper
http://paddleforthecure.brownpapertickets.com/

If you wish to solicit sponsors to donate money you can visit
http://paddleforthecure.brownpapertickets.com/
The start of the paddle is the Annsville Creek Paddle Sport Center (where we ended last year).

Take the Taconic Parkway north to the exit for Yorktown-Peekskill (Route 202). At the bottom of the ramp, turn left onto route 202 west, towards Peekskill. At the fourth light (just past a Dairy mart on the Left, and a bowling alley on the right), bear right onto onto the Bear Mountain Parkway. Continue approximately 3.8 miles to the second traffic light and turn right following signs for the Bear Mountain Bridge (Routes 6/202 West, Route 9 north). Cross Annsville Creek and take second exit in the traffic circle (signs for Bear Mountain Bridge, Routes 6/202 West). 100 feet from the traffic circle will be the entrance to the Paddlesport Center, on the left.

Registration will open at 7:30 am. You will need to sign in upon arriving, unload you boat and gear and then drive to the Cold Spring metro north train parking lot. A shuttle will be available to take you back to Annsville for the start. The poker paddle will begin at 9:30

http://paddleforthecure.brownpapertickets.com/

Peggy