[NYCkayaker] Full Moon Paddle at Monksville Reservoir Tues. Aug. 20th

Lee Reiser/Leona Fontaine lee060@earthlink.net
Mon Aug 12 19:00:01 EDT 2013

Hi all,
As a result of Storm Sandy, we have no electric at the Club and subsequently cannot host Full Moon Paddles. So, Betty Wiest(new YPRC Member) and I are organizing this paddle for you on the CALENDAR Full Moon.
August's full moon is known as the Sturgeon Moon.
Monksville Reservoir is a great place to paddle day or night and we could all use another beautiful place to paddle!
Some of it's features include many upright tree trunks that support wild life, cliffs and rock formations, islands, waterfalls & streams and an historic iron forge & waterwheel which once powered the bellows for the forge.
It has a huge parking area & launch (just one of three!) and Kayaking is allowed at night if boats are lit. It is not that far from Yonkers and just a little further than going to Lake Sebago, but in the opposite direction off Rt. 17.
I've seen many Ospreys & Bald Eagles and Bears there and once I even saw a Bear swim across the lake!
Rain date most probable/check the night before.

See Betty's note below this for times.
Lee Reiser

Take I-87/287 over the Chimpanzee Bridge.
Exit 15A for Suffern/Sloatsburg.
Left onto Rt. 17 North.
Take 1st jughandle exit on right for Sterling/Ringwood (Sterling Mine Rd.)
Stay left at the stop light.
Right at the Little League field onto Margaret King Dr.
At end, turn left onto Greenwood Lk. Tpke.(Rt 511) for just a few hundred feet.
Turn right into gate (You should see the lake & dam in front of you at this point.
Procede to the launch & lot.
Okay, Lee. We'll stick with Tuesday. Please put it out to anyone you want.
Meet at the South launch (by the dam) at Monksville Reservoir in Ringwood at 7:30
and put in the water by 8 p.m.
Paddle for 2 hours and load vehicles around 10 p.m.
Bring beverage, snack.
PFD's and a headlamp or a 360 degree white light a must(red & green helps if you got'em).

Betty Wiest