[NYCkayaker] Split Rock Reservoir - Saturday Aug.24th - Meet at 9:00 AM

Lee Reiser/Leona Fontaine lee060@earthlink.net
Wed Aug 21 22:13:36 EDT 2013

Hi All,
If you haven't been here yet, I suggest you visit this unique area.
Split Rock is a large body of water located near the border of Passaic & Morris Counties in Marcella, NJ.
The length of the lake is about 4 miles. Wonderful rock formations and numerous islands reminiscent of coastal Maine, make this a prime paddling area. One of my many favorites. The drive up is also very senic and pleasant. Oh ... and there's no e-coli, power boats or barges in the water so it's very safe!  Great swim spots.
Bring lunch & water.
Meet at 9:00 AM & launch  at 10:00.

Directions from the Chimpanzee Bridge: ( $5 one way toll ) and buy your gas in NJ - it's fifty cents/gal. cheaper & you don't pump it!
Rte. I 87-287 West into NJ.
Rte. 23 North (go about 9 miles) to...
Larue Rd. exit. Jughandle to cross back over Rte. 23.
Left at light onto Rte. 23 South.
Immediate right onto Green Pond Road (Rte. 513 South) (go about 5 miles) to...
Left on Upper Hibernia Rd. (at community center)

Right onto Hibernia Rd., if coming from Rt.I-80. (skip if coming from Rt. 23)
Left onto Split Rock Rd.
Pavement ends continue on gravel.
One lane road continues on top of dam.
Parking area & launch on left.

Directions from GW Bridge: ( $8.50 both ways toll!  +  $3.50 both ways on HH Viaduct! )
Rte.  I 80 West to exit 47 Hibernia
Rte. 513 North.
Then follow 2nd Paragraph.

Lee Reiser