[NYCkayaker] Sedge Islands/Barnegat Lighthouse Trip - Sunday Sept 1st

Lee Reiser/Leona Fontaine lee060@earthlink.net
Sun Aug 25 10:28:45 EDT 2013

HI ALL,
AND ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO HAVE REQUESTED A SUNDAY TRIP!
LABOR DAY WEEKEND CELEBRATION!

ONE DAY ONLY - Roughly a ten mile round trip.
Own boat/gear & transportation.
Annual trip to this great Wildlife Preserve.
See Ospreys, Peregrine Falcons, Diamondback Terrapins and possibly Pelicans - in NJ !
Tour side creeks, nature trails, & fishing fleets. Check out amazing view and history at "Old Barney" Lighthouse.
Lunch at a cozy, reasonably priced Restaurant or bring a picnic lunch. (Deli open)
We will return 6-7 hours later with the flood.
Due to dangerous conditions, we will not be going through the inlet out into the ocean.

INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED ONLY - Multiple channels, Strong cross-currents and heavy boat traffic. Paddle at your own risk. Everyone going on this trip should know their limitations and have all proper and necessary gear.
If you have a MARINE RADIO - Bring it.
2 hr. drive from GWB. Pack boat & gear the night before.
Meet at Betty & Nicks Diner/Baitshop W.Central Ave.(Rt. 35) Seaside Park, NJ at 8:00 AM SHARP.
IF YOU WANT BREAKFAST HERE, BE EARLY AS WE NEED TO LEAVE BY 0800 TO CATCH THE HIGH TO EBB TIDE.
EARLY LAUNCH 8:30 SHARP from inside Island Beach State Park.
Carpooling is recommended because there is a $10 fee/car.
Make sure you ask for a free waterproof/tearproof map of the area when you arrive at the gate.

DIRECTIONS TO MEET
Drive time is 1-3/4 hrs. from the TZB and 1-1/2 hrs. from the GWB. Take the Garden State Parkway South to Exit 82 Rte.37 East and follow the brown signs, which read - Island Beach State Park. After approximately ten miles, Rte. 37 will cross the bay. Keep to the right for Rte.35 south (aka Central Ave.) Just past the municipal/police building, which is situated on a circle in the middle of the road, look for a bait and tackle shop/diner known as Betty and Nick's on the right side of Rte.35.
Here, we will rendezvous to have coffee and breakfast BEFORE 8:00 AM Please.

HIGH TIDE IS AT 8:33 AM, so we should leave from Betty and Nick's no later than 8:00 AM.
I might arrive a little earlier (pack your boat and gear Sat. night). Watch your local weather channel to check for adverse conditions of wind or lightning.
I have friends and family in the area who also will be keeping an eye on the weather for me.
Call me at my home number on Sat. eve to make sure the trip is still on. After 5:00 am, Sun., call my cell phone.
Home - (845)352-0162, Cell - (914) 374-7954. Call or email me to for more info.
Lee
H. 845-352-0162
C. 914-374-7954