[NYCkayaker] Do we know anything about the 2 kayakers that were rescued when their kayaks overturned in Jamaica Bay yesterday???

Jeff Kraus jeffk3@verizon.net
Tue Feb 12 00:01:07 EST 2013

Good point, Bonnie, about their probable non-affiliation with a club. Did anyone else notice in the AP story that they mention "their kayak" rather than kayaks? Were these guys in a double kayak? And of course we don't know what gear or training they had, and the random couple of comments called them morons for doing this now. Once we know their story it would be a good idea to put out something about all the wise, excellent paddlers who go out in the winter with training and gear, and nobody else knows about them because they do just fine!

I saw two kayakers on Sunday paddling down the Hudson on a gorgeous day. I was walking from 125th Street to the GWB and back, and I truly wished I was with them. The river was glassy calm and spectacular. I had planned to go XC skiing and birding at Pelham but the Hudson was just so alluring I had to stay home and enjoy the day.

Those paddlers didn't make the news since they were just fine. We will eventually know about the capsized guys and can respond about what the hell they did wrong, and how clubs like ours don't EVER let things like that happen.