[NYCkayaker] Cheesequake Creek/Laurence Harbor

Lee Reiser/Leona Fontaine lee060@earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 08:12:42 EST 2013

Hi Peter,
I believe you are speaking of Cheesquake Creek. A great spot that I have posted trips to in the past on this mailing list.
One good launch is on the public beach in the town of Old Bridge off of Rte 35, just SE of the Morgan Bridge.
You will need to access the creek by turning left to go thru the rock jetty which is the channel under the Morgan Bridge. Proceed upstream past a picturesque harbor, under the GSP (very noisy here which abates as one goes further). Numerous side channels can be explored. Great birding spots too. Keep going up until you can go no further. You will see a hill with numerous pines on your left, which is a great lunch/rest stop. There is a dirt road there that fishermen use for access, so don't be surprised to see a truck or van parked there! Make sure you tie your boat down when hiking up the hill, for you will need to launch from Old Bridge Beach during the flood tide and return with the ebb. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PADDLE AGAINST THE TIDE so use:
www.saltwatertides .com  for New Jersey then click on either or both Old Bridge or Cheesquake Creek.
Hope this helps. Have a safe trip with dry suit at this time! Call me for more info.

Lee Reiser
914-374-7954
ps. After returning to launch, visit the Morgan Fish Market/Restaurant for a great meal (just north of the Morgan Bridge on Rte 35 N).