[NYCkayaker] NY NJ Baykeeper kayak volunteers
Wed Jan 23 14:23:47 EST 2013
I am posting this for the NY NJ Baykeeper: Great organization trying to build their kayak program!
Kayak EcoCruise Volunteer
NY/NJ Baykeeper is a leading nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation, protection and
restoration of the Hudson-Raritan Estuary. As part of the organization’s mission, we offer kayak and
canoe tours of local waterways, including the Raritan, Navesink and Shrewsbury Rivers, Raritan Bay and
the Arthur Kill.
For the 2013 summer season, Baykeeper will be operating at least four weekend kayak and canoe trips. .
The trips will be approximately 3-4 hours long and range from beginner to moderate kayaking. Baykeeper
will also hostThursday late afternoon shorter paddles in June in Raritan Bay. Exact locations to be
This position will assist in facilitating and leading the group of kayakers on these trips. This person will
gain knowledge on important ecological information on the Hudson-Raritan Estuary, as well as gain
experience with eco-tourism.
Volunteer position is unpaid, but Baykeeper will reimburse travel expenses. Volunteer position is
approximately 50 total hours from June 1 – October 1.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
• Assist the Kayak leader to provide a safe, positive and supportive environment for kayakers.
• Understand and be able to implement emergency procedures during a trip.
• Use and maintain equipment appropriately.
• Prepare kayaks for each trip.
• Hose down and re-store kayaks after each trip.
• Educate kayakers on the local watershed.
• Valid Driver’s License.
• Experienced kayaker
• Physically fit and able to lift over 25 pounds.
• Outgoing and positive attitude!
For more information on NY/NJ Baykeeper please visit our website at www.nynjbaykeeper.org. Please
submit resume/qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
More information about the NYCKayaker