[NYCkayaker] Another POV on fracking

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 00:46:38 EST 2013

I used to sometimes commute by kayak across the Hudson River to my work as
a Northeast and Mid-Atlantic energy reporter at Dow Jones Newswires in
Jersey City, so I might have a unique perspective on this.  ;)

While I see more angels on the anti-fracking side of this debate than the
pro, I think there's room for us to avoid too much demonization --
especially of lower-income farming families who chose to sell their land
rights to energy companies. Those families deserve more options to preserve
their lands and legacies, and only we can provide them, as voters and
consumers.

NYC might remain a leader among world cities in coming centuries because of
its copious freshwater supplies. Many large cities won't be so fortunate.
Solid economic analyses have valued NYC's water riches as far surpassing
that of potential regional gas profits. Don't underestimate how the value
of drinking water will spike.

That said, natural gas does burn cleaner than other fossil fuels, has value
for other chemical applications, and the U.S. could clearly benefit from
being a leading world provider. If that's true today, it will be even more
true tomorrow. I believe we should invest heavily in far superior
extraction technologies -- pumping a toxic slurry into the ground can't be
the best we can do. Good capitalism also includes deferring immediate
profits for greater future gains. Delaying gratification for long-term
benefits was once a conservative value.

In the meantime, we must develop renewable energy technologies and, even
more importantly, develop energy saving technologies for the infrastructure
we've inherited.

Erik

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Robert Huszar <r-huszar@panix.com> wrote:

> Hey, Donna,
>
> Yes, I would like a bucket of that water you were talking about. There are
> a few people who's head I'd like to stick in that bucket.  Hmmmm, I guess
> the color would be the same on both ends then!!! I love mixing and matching!
>

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2013, Donna Stein wrote:
>
>  Fracknation is made by a couple who also made other anti-environmental
>> films: Mine Your Own Business (about coal mining) and Not Evil Just Wrong
>> (about Al Gore and An Inconvenient Truth). They claim funding came from
>> people support but the crowd funding source was industry funded. (I can get
>> back up on that).
>>

>  This is industries attempt at discrediting Josh Fox. I know Josh and his
> Mother and they are genuinely sad at the loss of their pristine land. They,
> among many of their neighbors are trying to bring public attention to this.
>
>  Please read up on fracking. Do searchs on youtube, google, read up at
> sites like saneenergyproject.org
>
>  There are many myths that industry is spending a lot of money to promote.
> Industry commercials say it is safe, green, environmentally better than oil
> and nuclear. This is known as greenwashing. There is much they are not
> telling you. Like fracking pollutes so much more in the beginning of the
> process that, not withstanding that it burns cleaner, it actually causes a
> worse case of CO2 in the atmosphere fracking for the "natural" gas.
>
>  Renewable times has come. Wind, waves, solar has come a long way. If a
> fraction of the amount of subsidies given to the oil companies were given
> to the renewables we would be on the way to a much more sustainable future.
>
>  Do you trust govt agencies blindly? Do you trust them to report
> accurately your drinking water contamination?
>  Pennsylvania's "Department of Environmental Protection" caught again
> withholding testing data on water quality near drilling sites.
>  http://www.timesonline.com/**news/local_news/dep-shelves-**
> more-stringent-water-test/**article_3a85cca2-ad8a-5478-**
> b280-6e8c1a8689fd.html<http://www.timesonline.com/news/local_news/dep-shelves-more-stringent-water-test/article_3a85cca2-ad8a-5478-b280-6e8c1a8689fd.html>
>
>  When you see an article it is always a good idea to read the comments
> after to get more of the story.
>
>  "Fracking has not been proven to be safe to the water supply and there is
> real evidence it is not . The fossil fuel companies are allowed to keep
> their proprietary brews of chemicals used in the fracking water a secret.
>  These chemicals were not used in fracking years ago, and not done on the
> scale of the water and chemical injections being done these days."
>
>  I can get you some water to drink from a tap in an affeced area in
> Dimock, PA. Who wants some?
>
>  Donna Stein

The 2011 Greenest New
Yorker<http://thebeat.iloveny.com/i-love-new-york-announces-the-2011-greenest-nyer-3604.html>
!

LEARNING ADVENTURE BOATING!
Founder, HarborLAB
http://www.facebook.com/HarborLAB

FREE APPLE TREES!
Founder, Newtown Pippin Restoration and Celebration
www.newtownpippin.org

FREE KAYAKING!
Founder, LIC Community Boathouse
www.licboathouse.org