[NYCkayaker] A Dolphin in the Gowanus

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:16:12 EST 2013

Fully agree with Bonnie, and share Chris' sentiments and faint hopes.
Usually such close encounters are the result of marine mammal illnesses,
though perhaps one day they'll be routine in a revived estuary. I'm
grateful that the Riverhead Foundation and its partners have done such
fantastic work providing aid and rehabilitation where possible.

One happy and lovable exception might be "Chessie," the manatee who swam
from Florida to New England. His name derives from first sightings in the
Chesapeake Bay. His course took him up the East River in 1995 (article
here:
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/08/nyregion/on-the-trail-of-a-vagabond-manatee.html).
I put his name into the list of possible boat christenings at the LIC
Community Boathouse (we painted names on boats along with sponsor names),
and volunteers were equally smitten. "*The Chessie*" took a battering over
the years but kept swimming, just like the manatee!

I wonder if Chessie is the Forest Gump of the manatee world, just blindly
going farther and farther. Or maybe he's more like Bilbo Baggins,
uncharacteristically leaving the warmth and safety of home and returning
with fantastic tales?

Here's a note from his most recent adventure:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-07-15/features/bs-gr-manatee-20110715_1_florida-manatee-chessie-manatee-first

Anyway, echoing Chris, let's hope the Gowanus dolphin has a happy ending,
or at least a humane one.

Best regards,

Erik

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM, <bonnie13@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Oh, hate to hear that. Hope people can at least resist the impulse to give
> it a stupid jokey name, but I suppose it's inevitable. Silly to have been
> bothered over it but somehow it really bugged me that the poor whale who
> get stuck in the Gowanus got nicknamed "Sludgy". Just didn't seem
> respectful somehow.

The 2011 Greenest New
Yorker<http://thebeat.iloveny.com/i-love-new-york-announces-the-2011-greenest-nyer-3604.html>
!

LEARNING ADVENTURE BOATING!
Founder, HarborLAB
http://www.facebook.com/HarborLAB

FREE APPLE TREES!
Founder, Newtown Pippin Restoration and Celebration
www.newtownpippin.org

FREE KAYAKING!
Founder, LIC Community Boathouse
www.licboathouse.org