[NYCkayaker] (no subject)

Robert Harris rob@rwharris.com
Tue Jul 2 12:59:25 EDT 2013

I take the ferry pretty regularly and have seen one kayaker near a boat in the 2 years I have been doing this.  that guy was stupid enough to try to cut behind the ferry at a dock rather than wait the 30 seconds that they sit there.

If the reason they now blow those fog horns is because kayakers can't understand that the ferry might pull out and can't wait a few seconds then I agree that these horns are annoying noise pollution and hope they stop the horns ASAP.

I am 100% sympathetic to people who have to hear this every 10 minutes so that one or 2 kayakers a day or a week have to be warned that the noisy huge boat may pull out.  which they should know already.  they rev the engines to stay at the dock then they shift to reverse to leave.  you can hear the
sounds and see the boat balance shift.
I mean, really, do people in kayaks not know that the ferries might pull out?  I hardly think this is a maritime safety issue.

Rob

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 11:36:31 -0400
From: Nancy Brous <nbrous@gmail.com>
To: nyc watertrail list <nyc-water-trail@googlegroups.com>,
        "nyckayaker**" <nyckayaker@rockandwater.net>,        Pier63holdtrips
        <pier63holdtrips@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [NYCkayaker] Fwd: ferry horn blowback

I am outraged that people can be this selfish, expecting ferries to
flout safety regulations so they can live with a waterfront view but
not be "disturbed" by the sounds of a waterfront.  Why should ferry
captains, passengers, and other mariners be put in danger so these
privileged people with the waterfront luxury apartments can sleep in?

I encourage all who are concerned about maritime safety to comment
here, and i'm not on facebook but it seems you may be able to make
some noise (pun intended) there as well.

http://www.batterypark.tv/featured-residents/letter-help-stop-the-ferry-boat-horns.html