[NYCkayaker] (no subject)

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak@gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 14:29:24 EDT 2013

I agree with Rob Buchanan.

I paddle defensively and understand that I need to be on the lookout for
large motorized craft. If I hear a horn, I stop look and listen.

I have on more than one occasion seen ferries shoot out at high speed from
invisible locations without a warning of any kind and then only blasting
the horn when realizing that they are about to have a collision.

That kind of piloting is like backing your car out of a blind alley at high
speed without any concern for pedestrians or other cars. Very reckless.

Yes, the horns should be enforced, but the captains of the ferries should
also drive defensively.

"The more you know, the less you need"
    --aboriginal saying