[NYCkayaker] {NYCWTA} Re: (no subject)

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 15:31:34 EDT 2013

Amusingly enough, my two comments on the blog in question were censored
because the publisher felt this statement (ellipsesare the editor's) was
factually inaccurate:

<<Re the editor’s follow-up note: If anything, chatter…..complained in
recent years that the company was particularly negligent in its use of
horns….More recently, the company has received praise for courtesy and
compliance with maritime law for safety on the water — horn use included.>>

My note regarding recent praise was referring to Susan Windle's comment on
the NYC Kayaker list in June and other conversations I've had.  My
statement about years of criticism of ferry operators for not sounding
horns as legally required (among other issues) is evidently an ongoing
concern. The editor has apparently adopted the position of the letter
writer.

I don't envy the position of ferry operators who must contend with the
quality of life objections of more populous waterfront residents, who are
often their customers, at the same time that safety conscious boaters
object to lapses in meeting legal requirements to sound horns. Today we've
read simultaneous complaints that horns are sounded too often and too
seldom.

Louis is right about the required interval too --- I routinely use the
marine radio and check for the engine-churned stern plume to  ensure safe
passage because that prior notice is lacking.

Anyway, back to work...

Erik

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Louis Kleinman <
lkleinman@waterfrontalliance.org> wrote:

>  Just to add a small point:****
>
> It is the law and the law is supposed to be enforced by the CG.****
>
> (I think also by NYC Water PD but am not sure)****
>
> ** **
>
> There is a reason for the law and it makes sense.****
>
> Whoever doesn’t understand the real danger probably has never been in a
> small boat (no matter HP or Sail) in the Harbor and just doesn’t have a
> grasp as to the conditions.  In fact I don’t quite understand why such
> people are even subscribed in this blog – But that is another matter.****
>
> There are other things that could be said about those who want the River
> proximities & views but not the harbor/waterways inherent activities with
> it’s attendant sonic intrusions, but I leave what I am thinking to your
> imaginations.****
>
> ** **
>
> And by the way:  Horn blowing on emerging is too late. It should be done
> at least 1 minute before leaving and again as leaving.****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> * *
>
> ** **

The 2011 Greenest New
Yorker<http://thebeat.iloveny.com/i-love-new-york-announces-the-2011-greenest-nyer-3604.html>
!

LEARNING ADVENTURE BOATING!
Founder, HarborLAB
http://www.facebook.com/HarborLAB

FREE APPLE TREES!
Founder, Newtown Pippin Restoration and Celebration
www.newtownpippin.org

FREE KAYAKING!
Founder, LIC Community Boathouse
www.licboathouse.org