[NYCkayaker] ferry horn blowback

David Gottlieb snedenslanding@gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 02:56:18 EDT 2013

I wrote the following on their blog (don't know if my post has gone through as my comment is awaiting moderation!!!!!)

How selfish can you be. The amount of boat traffic has increased over the years. It is not just ferries (which have increased in numbers and become faster over the last few years) and kayaks plying the waters, but also recreational sailboats, pleasure boats, jet skies, speed boats and commercial freighters, barges, and ocean liners that travel up and down the waterfront. They all get in the way of each of each other. A number of the recreational boaters are very careless. I've watched jet skiers run circles around barges. I've witnessed drunken pleasure boaters not paying attention and nearly colliding with other boats. And I've seen novice or careless sailboaters waiting to long to come about or to keep a steady course while a large craft passed. Warning signals are required by the Coast Guard.

If you want to live on a crowded waterfront, then you need to accept the noise of the commercial vessels and recreational vessels. These horns safe lives, and prevent collisions.
Should ambulances and firefighters be forbidden to use their horns and sirens when responding to an emergency because it might bother a resident? Should helicopters and jets turn off their engines and take their chances "gliding" when they pass over your building. I suggest you put on  some music if the noise bothers you so much. There is noise throughout the  city. You are lucky enough to live on the waterfront, but you don't own the waterfront. Appreciate it for the natural beauty and the recreational and economic benefits it gives the people of New York. Find a cause worth fighting for, not a selfish objective that will put people at risk.

I grew up in Manhattan in the 1950s and 1960s, and always remember horns on the river, so I don't know what kind of investigating you have conducted.
Here I am in Kenya, where few safety laws on navigable waters are followed, let alone pollution laws. You are very lucky you live in such luxury on the New York waterfront where people have been concerned enough to clean up the Hudson. If you really want a cause you can get behind, come take a waterfront home in a slum in Nairobi. By waterfront, I mean, a raw sewage stream running through your one-room 10 foot by 10 foot tin shack where you are living with 3 to 5 other people. Try cleaning that up!!!! Then we can talk about horns on the Hudson River!!!!!