[NYCkayaker] {NYCWTA} Re: details on sewage spill

Rob Buchanan avironvoile@gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 17:50:16 EDT 2013

Nina Zain at The River Project took a special sample at Pier 40 yesterday
at 12:28, three and half hours before the DEP Advisory expired, and tested
for sewage-indicating bacteria (Enterococcus, the same thing the DEP and
DOH test for). After 24 hours of incubation, she got an MPN (most probable
number) of 30 cfu (colony-forming units) per 100 ml. That's a good result,
in the 'green' on our charts, though a bit higher than usual for Pier 40
and the other Hudson River Park launches.

To see the results of our regular weekly testing at Pier 40, or any of the
other of our 30-odd testing sites, use our map interface:

http://www.nycwatertrail.org/water_quality.html

We have not yet heard from the DEPabout the results of their tests, or
gotten an answer to the question about where exactly the releases occurred.
We'll ask again, and also ask Dan's question about why an alert about this
kind of event can't be sent out via NotifyNYC>

Rob Buchanan
NYC Watertrail Association