[NYCkayaker] Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria Widespread in Hudson River, Study Finds

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 07:39:41 EDT 2013

This seems like a logical extension to both the CSO levels we've observed
and news stories about pharmaceuticals and even venereal diseases (Gowanus
Canal) existing in blighted corners. Of course both problems would be
alleviated by more green (in our diets and in our urban design).

Article intro:

<<The risk of catching some nasty germ in the Hudson River just started
looking nastier.  Disease-causing microbes have long been found swimming
there, but now researchers have documented antibiotic-resistant strains in
specific spots, from the Tappan Zee Bridge to lower Manhattan. The microbes
identified are resistant to ampicillin and tetracycline, drugs commonly
used to treat ear infections, pneumonia, salmonella and other ailments. The
study is published in the current issue of the Journal of Water and Health.

“If you find antibiotic-resistant bacteria in an ecosystem, it’s hard to
know where they’re coming from,” says study co-author Andrew Juhl, a
microbiologist at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.
“In the Hudson, we have a strong case to make that it’s coming from
untreated sewage.”>>

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Erik Baard <erikbaard@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/news/2013/07/antibioticresistant-bacteria-widespread-in-hudson-river-study-finds.aspx
>
> Sent from my Windows Phone

The 2011 Greenest New
Yorker<http://thebeat.iloveny.com/i-love-new-york-announces-the-2011-greenest-nyer-3604.html>
!

LEARNING ADVENTURE BOATING!
Founder, HarborLAB
http://www.facebook.com/HarborLAB

FREE APPLE TREES!
Founder, Newtown Pippin Restoration and Celebration
www.newtownpippin.org

FREE KAYAKING!
Founder, LIC Community Boathouse
www.licboathouse.org