[NYCkayaker] Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria Widespread in Hudson River, Study Finds

j2 (jumpinphoto) j2@jumpinphoto.com
Sat Jul 20 11:34:56 EDT 2013

I've found this to be true in real life paddling as well.

Scrapes and cuts on legs, exposed to Hudson River water, treated with triple antibiotic ointment would often get all red and inflamed, even creating long-term scars.

However, if cuts and scrapes are treated with hydrogen peroxide when fresh and after exposure to Hudson water would not normally get all red and inflamed, and so wouldn't leave nasty scars.

I mention this because standard first aid for cuts and scrapes no longer includes disinfection with hydrogen peroxide or iodine, but to apply tripe-A ointment. This standard of care is insufficient to properly treat cuts and scrapes gotten paddling in and around Hudson River water, and likely most other bodies of water.

With this study, we know why.