[NYCkayaker] gps tracker

holzlegacy@gmail.com holzlegacy@gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 20:19:58 EDT 2013

My son recommended "My Tracks" and I've used it on my Samsung G-III.  Seems
OK.  Per his recommendation, I put the phone in "airplane" mode when
paddling to save on battery life.

Bill Leonhardt

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Leslie
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:31 PM
To: nyckayaker@rockandwater.net
Subject: Re: [NYCkayaker] gps tracker

Hi Peter,

I've been using My Tracks, an app that Google acquired some time back, on my
HTC phone. It's simple but effective. The altitude readings are rubbish, but
that doesn't matter if you're on the water. It's very easy to upload your
routes to Google Maps and Drive.

Someone recently recommended Trimble Outdoors, which I've installed but not
yet used much.

My biggest problem in using tracking is my phone's battery life. With GPS on
I only get about 4 hours of juice. Maybe your phone will last longer.

Best,
Steven

Message: 4