[NYCkayaker] Nestles & Water

Robert Huszar r-huszar@panix.com
Wed Jun 5 12:28:19 EDT 2013

Hi All,

While this isn't 100% water related (by what we do at nyckayaker
standards), it certainly is water related enough to make me angry. I pass
this along to those of you who have an interest in these matters. To the
rest of you, I apologize for the intrusion.

Bob Huszar

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:17:17 +0000
From: "Angus Wong, SumOfUs.org" <us@sumofus.org>
To: Robert Huszar <r-huszar@panix.com>
Subject: [utf-8] Nestlé

       Nestle is sucking water from a watershed during drought conditions in
    order to bottle and sell it. From patenting flowers to claiming water is
    not a public right, Nestle is trying to commodify everything.

    Tell Nestle to stop bottling from a Canadian aquifer in drought
    conditions.

    [1]Sign the Petition

    Robert,

    Nestle's Chairman and former CEO once infamously declared that "access to
    water should not be a public right." And now his company is putting into
    practice its belief that every resource should be commodified and sold
    off. Nestle is sucking up water from a Canadian watershed during drought
    conditions -- to bottle and sell it off.

    Nestle has won a permit to drain an Ontario aquifer whenever it likes.
    Meanwhile, the surrounding communities which rely on the aquifer have
    by-laws to restrict their access to their own water during dry conditions
    in the summer. This just isn't right, and groups are fighting back against
    Nestle and the Ontario government office that handed out its permit in an
    environmental tribunal. It shouldn't take a legal proceeding to force
    Nestle to do the right thing. Let's tell Nestle that a community's access
    to its own water supply is more important than any company's profits.

    [2]Tell Nestle: Stop bottling Ontario's water source during drought
    conditions.

    Currently, Nestle has a permit through 2017 to take about 1.1 million
    litres of water per day from Hillsburgh, Ontario for its bottling
    operations in nearby Aberfoyle -- even during drought conditions while
    there are by-laws on water use for households. SumOfUs.org is joining a
    number of groups that are fighting back against Nestle.

    Nestle has been in the news a lot lately for attempting to profit from our
    natural resources. Last month, over 220,000 SumOfUs.org supporters signed
    our petition against Nestle's greedy effort to patent the fennel flower, a
    cure-all medicinal remedy for millions of people in impoverished
    communities across the Middle East and Asia. Several days after we sent
    out our petition, a video emerged showing Nestle's Chairman claiming that
    the idea that water is a human right comes from "extremist" NGOs and that
    water should have a market value. Nestle has dealt with NGOs and lost
    before -- the years-long boycott over Nestle's dirty tactics to get
    mothers to stop breastfeeding and use baby formula -- which resulted in
    thousands of infant deaths from water-born illnesses -- was a historic
    success in corporate campaigning.

    Nestle's appetite to commodify water and natural remedies is a recurring
    strategy by a corporation with a pattern of seeking to privatize and
    profit from traditional knowledge and our natural resources. By speaking
    out against the draining of our watersheds, you will be taking a stand
    against Nestle's strategy to profit off everything in nature.

    [3]Demand that Nestle stop commodifying everything in nature. Stop
    draining Ontario's watershed to bottle water.

    Thanks for all you do

    Angus, Martin & the team from SumOfUs.org

    More information:

    [4]Council of Canadians raises climate change and drought concerns in
    Nestle case. Council of Canadians, Apr. 23rd, 2013.
    [5]The Privatization of Water: Nestle Denies that Water is a Fundamental
    Human Right. Global Research. Apr. 20th, 2013.