[NYCkayaker] Kayak on your drinking water!

Ann Roberti annroberti@yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 12:35:56 EDT 2013

I live just up the hill from the Pepacton Reservoir -- one of the gems of
the NYC reservoir system.   When the DEP opened the reservoirs to paddling
last year (the Cannonsville was opened a few years earlier as a pilot), it
was a wonderful thing for the outdoors folks in our communities.

The other morning we spotted a loon on the reservoir, and got a good picture
of it.   Last year we got a nice picture of a mother bear and her cubs, and
we followed a bear swimming across the reservoir.   They swim fast!   Bald
eagles are often spotted over the reservoirs -- last year we watched an
immature eagle that seemed to be practicing fishing.

I encourage folks to go out and paddle a reservoir  (Pepacton especially :)
) -- if you bring your own boat you need to have it steam cleaned by a DEP
designated outfit before putting it in the water.

Ann

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Baard [mailto:erikbaard@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 3:29 AM
To: kayack; nycwatertrail
Subject: [NYCkayaker] Kayak on your drinking water!

Good morning,

HarborLAB is introducing free public paddling to the NYC reservoir system,
for education and to engender civic stewardship. We're deeply grateful to
the Catskill Watershed Corporation for its education grant to double our
fleet with ten Malibu 2 XL sit-on-top kayaks and five Old Town Saranac
canoes, plus all needed paddles and life vests (this mirror's our initial
estuary fleet). We're equally grateful to the New York City Department of
Environmental Conservation for its support of our grant application and for
its environmental education expertise.

This is the UN International Year of Water Cooperation, and the UN Federal
Credit Union is one of HarborLAB's chief sponsors. We hope our programs can
remind us of our drinking water wealth, which is rare, and our duty to
foster equitable access to sanitary supplies. Yesterday Bob Huszar, Donna
Stein, and Sandy Sobanski spotlighted dangers to public drinking water
supplies, from environmental damage and commercial commodification. Bob
apologized for the topic being not entirely germane to a kayaking email
list, so I thought it might be a good time to pipe up about HarborLAB's
coming Watershed Wonder Tours, which bring lessons from the Downtown
Boathouse and others to the mountains.  Also, schools and community groups
wishing to paddle with us can save on transportation costs by applying for
another watershed grant by July 15, so delaying our announcement would be a
disservice.

Please see this link for more:

http://harborlab.org/2013/06/07/watershed-wonder-tours/

I'm truly indebted to HarborLAB's other board members for their abilities
and commitment to this work. They include CUNY LaGuardia Community College
faculty department heads, the founder of the New York Environmental Law and
Justice Project, and the manager of Hour Children's afterschool and summer
programs.

We welcome paddlers from other boating groups to volunteer with us -- our
drinking water is a shared legacy and trust.

Best regards,

Erik

The 2011 Greenest New
Yorker<http://thebeat.iloveny.com/i-love-new-york-announces-the-2011-greenes