[NYCkayaker] Kayak on your drinking water!

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 13:33:40 EDT 2013

Sounds splendid, Ann! I envy one of HarborLAB's board members, the
fantastic photographer Scott Sternbach <http://www.scottsternbach.com/>,
who's paddled all of the open reservoirs.

I think the fee is about $15/boat for steam cleaning, so boathouses wishing
to visit other reservoirs or to visit the Neversink before September can
afford special outings, but perhaps not frequent full-fleet visits. From
the NYC DEP brochure:

<<

Boat Cleaning
All boats are required to be steam cleaned prior to being
placed on the reservoir in order to help prevent the
introduction of zebra mussels and other invasive species
to the City’s reservoirs. Invasive species affect both
water supply infrastructure and water quality and would
add millions of dollars to annual maintenance costs.
Steam cleaning and other DEP approved practices will
be continued. In addition to steam cleaning, boats will
be inspected for other aquatic nuisance species.

The advantage of HarborLAB's program is that schools and community groups
will have a fleet waiting for them throughout the season. But we certainly
encourage individuals and groups to bring their boats up, or to rent from
the great commercial outfitters upstate.

Groups applying for the transportation grants linked in HarborLAB's post
must incorporate forestry into their plans. That's a logical extension of
any paddle tour to teach about our water system; forests filter and protect
our water. We plan to invite multiple groups up each program day,
encouraging them to rotate between paddling, forest hiking, and farm tours.

Anyway, exciting times! Many thanks to the Catskill Watershed Corporation
and NYC DEP.

Erik