[NYCkayaker] Kayak on your drinking water!

Ann Roberti annroberti@yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 14:01:51 EDT 2013

Erik,

You are right about the fee.  Some outfitters have a clean 3 times get the
fourth one free or something like that...I have my boat stored (locked to a
tree) at the reservoir right now, so I don't have to pay each time.
Obviously that doesn't work well for downstate folks.

I am also involved in  building hiking trails on DEP land and tomorrow I
have a group working on our first trail - right across from one of the
Pepacton boat launches - the Shavertown Bridge in Andes.     The trail will
be 2.5 miles long - 5 miles round trip.    We hope people will enjoy this
great hike with views of the reservoir before or after a paddle!  It isn't a
very hard hike so it is doable in decent water shoes and after a few hours
on the water.

From: Erik Baard [mailto:erikbaard@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 1:34 PM
To: annroberti@yahoo.com
Cc: kayack
Subject: Re: [NYCkayaker] Kayak on your drinking water!

Sounds splendid, Ann! I envy one of HarborLAB's board members, the fantastic
photographer Scott Sternbach <http://www.scottsternbach.com/> , who's
paddled all of the open reservoirs.

I think the fee is about $15/boat for steam cleaning, so boathouses wishing
to visit other reservoirs or to visit the Neversink before September can
afford special outings, but perhaps not frequent full-fleet visits. From the
NYC DEP brochure:

<<

Boat Cleaning

All boats are required to be steam cleaned prior to being

placed on the reservoir in order to help prevent the

introduction of zebra mussels and other invasive species

to the City's reservoirs. Invasive species affect both

water supply infrastructure and water quality and would

add millions of dollars to annual maintenance costs.

Steam cleaning and other DEP approved practices will

be continued. In addition to steam cleaning, boats will

be inspected for other aquatic nuisance species.

The advantage of HarborLAB's program is that schools and community groups
will have a fleet waiting for them throughout the season. But we certainly
encourage individuals and groups to bring their boats up, or to rent from
the great commercial outfitters upstate.

Groups applying for the transportation grants linked in HarborLAB's post
must incorporate forestry into their plans. That's a logical extension of
any paddle tour to teach about our water system; forests filter and protect
our water. We plan to invite multiple groups up each program day,
encouraging them to rotate between paddling, forest hiking, and farm tours.

Anyway, exciting times! Many thanks to the Catskill Watershed Corporation
and NYC DEP.

Erik