[NYCkayaker] Home-stays needed for paddlers for Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign August 8th and 9th

Nancy Brous nbrous@gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 13:16:45 EDT 2013

July 27th to August 9th, the Two Row Wampum Campaign will be traveling down
the Hudson river in two rows--with Haudenosaunee representatives on one
side and allies on the other--from Albany to New York City, holding
educational and cultural events along the way. On August 8th, they will
arrive in Inwood and hold a community event. On August 9th, they will
continue to Pier 96, hold a media event, and march to the United Nations to
participate in their activities for the United Nations International Day of
the Worlds Indigenous Peoples.

The organizers are seeking home-stays for paddlers the evenings of Thursday
August 8th and Friday August 9.

If you can open your home to participants in this culturally,
environmentally, and historically significant event, please contact Anika
directly at tworowhousing@gmail.com

Campaign Overview:

The Two Row Wampum Renewal Campaign is a state-wide educational initiative
about the first treaty ever made between the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) and
settler nations (in this case the Dutch). It was also cited as the
foundation of every subsequent treaty made with the French, British, and
United States, making it the fundamental basis of the relationship between
the United States and the Haudenosaunee.

The Two Row Wampum was created in 1613 and depicts the two sovereign
nations--the Haudenosaunee in their canoes and the settlers in their
boats--traveling down the River of Life side by side in peace, friendship,
and perpetuity, as they care for their shared resources. This relationship
has many social as well as environmental ramifications, and illustrates
that we have responsibilities not only to one another but also to the
environment that we share. This environment is our common ground that we
all rely on for life and will continue to be so for all of our future
generations.

2013 marks the Wampum's 400th anniversary. Current environmental
devastation gives testament to a failure on the part of settler nations to
uphold the Two Row Wampum over the past 400 years. To commemorate the
Wampum's anniversary and encourage citizens of the United States to live up
to the Wampum's tenants the campaign will culminate in a symbolic enactment
of the treaty.

thanks!

Nancy for NYCWTA / HRWA