[NYCkayaker] Clearwater Festival this Weekend!

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 10:01:24 EDT 2013

Clarification: This is a HarborLAB program under the Working Waterfront at
Clearwater. Downtown Boathouse isn't at Clearwater. I was just gratefully
acknowledging that the "walk-up paddling" program model was pioneered by
that organization in the NYC area. Again, this is a HarborLAB program at
Clearwater, as part of the Working Waterfront.

Okay, that aside, HarborLAB patiently worked through communications with
Clearwater and we arrived at very good terms. I can understand paddlers'
frustrations from earlier years, but also why it wasn't an easy
administrative fit  -- while paddlers are providing a service, they aren't
volunteers under direct control of the Festival, who can be reassigned at
will. Also, we arrive with our own insurance specific to outdoor
recreation, distinct from the policy covering performers and Festival
volunteers. For these reasons, we're not under the standard Clearwater
umbrella. I won't bore the list with details, but both sides have the best
of intentions and shared goals, and just had to figure out new
arrangements. Also, I'm very committed to the event for the benefits it can
bring the paddling provider: a great weekend for our volunteers, networking
with environmentalists and educators, and a chance to meet potential
sponsors. When I operated day-to-day programs at the LIC Community
Boathouse we also assisted the paddling program, and brought inner city
kids up through Variety Boys and Girls Club. They had a blast, making the
investment even more worthwhile.

So, to sum up, HarborLAB looks forward to providing this service annually
and we're very happy with current terms. Happier still to be working in
harmony with Pete Seeger's and Clearwater's mission for the weekend and
beyond!

Best regards,

Erik