[NYCkayaker] Lamentations for Lamitations Re: Local Fiberglass okoume plywood Supplies

William haawill@yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 11:43:20 EDT 2013

It's all in the lamitations David. For thick bladed paddles you can get away with oil finish, no finish, but when you have thin foil blades, 'glass/epoxy is what gives it strength, holding it together, and protection from the elements. Of course, frictional contact degrades any surface and ma paw blades 'r screamin' !

Thanks for everyone's input.
I'm still trying to find local suppliers (in northern NJ) of epoxies; WEST systems or MAS. I try to avoid paying the cross Hudson tolls, or any tolls for that matter.

Will / NJ
*** Warning ***
Anyone thinking of working with, or is currently working with epoxies: PROTECT your skin, EYES, LUNGS.
Here's an interesting first hand link showing adverse reactions to epoxy exposure.
 http://ukhbbr.wordpress.com/how-to-do-it/epoxy-a-warning/

________________________________
From: David Mills <dbmills58@yahoo.com>
To: William <haawill@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [NYCkayaker] Local Fiberglass okoume plywood Supplies

Why would you want to ruin a wooden paddle by coating it with plastic??!? I've never used anything but teak oil on my GPs, and my current paddle has no finish at all.... once a year, I give it a quick sanding with 320 paper, and it's good for the season. You have plenty of responses to Condon lumber for Okume, so I'll leave that alone.