[NYCkayaker] circumnavigating Manhattan

George Fatula gfatula@gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 09:33:11 EDT 2013

Hello,

My name is George Fatula.  My wife and I are avid, experienced paddlers
from Maine.  We are planning to come paddle around Manhattan this August
and are looking for advice.  We are both competitive canoe racers and
recreational / camping paddlers.  We own a variety of boats.   Our
experience includes open ocean races (The Blackburn Challenge), downriver
ww races (The Dead River), fw distance races (The General Clinton Regatta)
along with lots of others in New England and around the country.  We have
won a couple of national championships over the We cruise a sailboat, too.
I share this just to establish the level of experience we have.

Our plan is to paddle ccw, starting and finishing at the Inwood Hill Park.
We would get a sunrise start, paddle down the Hudson and  start up the East
river 4 to 5 hours after low tide at the Battery.  That looks like
"favorable currents" and gives us some time to explore.

Our preferred open water canoe (a Sawyer Charger) with a spray cover,
rudder, split air bags and appropriate safety gear will be the boat.  We
carry it on a roof rack and need a launch site where we can park the car
for the day.

I have looked at the NYC Water Trail web site and will obtain the permit.
We would like to file a float plan locally, perhaps with your club?
Commercial traffic is a concern.  We would like to anticipate as many
issues as possible before we head to N.Y..  We plan to be a lone boat on
this trip.

I grew up on the Croton River and the Hudson back in the 50's and 60's.  My
last trip around Manhattan was over 60 years ago on the Circle Line with my
dad when he was teaching at Columbia.

We are looking forward to the trip and will appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you for considering my inquiry.

Sincerely,

George