[NYCkayaker] NY Outrigger Liberty Challenge this weekend!

Nancy Brous nbrous@gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 11:36:52 EDT 2013

There are tons of events going on all over the harbor this weekend.  (for a
look at some of the see http://www.nycwatertrail.org/events.html)
Yes, I am hoping some of you will come help out at the Stuyvesant Cove
Walk-up paddling program in saturday, but from there I will head to one of
my favorite annual boating event:  the NY Outrigger Liberty Challenge,
which is based this year for the first time at pier 26 in Hudson River Park.
from their website:
"The *Hawaiian Airlines Liberty Challenge hosted by New York Outrigger* is
the largest outrigger race on the East Coast. Previously known as the *Liberty
World Outrigger Competition*,  the regatta has grown to become one of the
most prestigious outrigger canoe races in the world.  The race is unique
among world outrigger regattas as it takes place in a bustling urban
harbor."
They have teams coming in from all over the world, and you can watch the
race from land or water.  These are amazing athletes and its an awesome
festival, expanded this year to include not just paddling clinics but also
cultural performances and workshops focused on the people of the Pacific
Islands.
For more info visit http://libertyoutrigger.org/the-race/
and to see a schematic of the race with good info for boaters (vhf
channels, detailed heat info, etc) which was provided to the Harbor Ops
group, see my post at www.nycwatertrail/news.html.