[NYCkayaker] circumnavigating Manhattan

Rick Muller rlmuller@earthlink.net
Sat Jun 22 10:22:21 EDT 2013

George - I don't know if you've heard back from anyone back channel - I hope so. If not I didn't want you to think we are not hospitable here. Your experience and preparation sound rock-solid and your plan to come down the Hudson and go up the East and Harlem with the flood tide are just what the doctor ordered. I've never done a circ, but there are plenty of folks on the list who have. You are correct about the big-boat traffic, but the only really dicey part is down by the Battery with the Staten Island ferry. There are also NY Waterway ferries, which can come barreling out of the embayment at around 38th Street on the west side, for example, so it's always good to take a peek at the activity in the embayment before crossing. But as long as you stay near the pierhead line (without getting too close so you avoid eddies and old piles under the surface) you should be fine. I would just mention a marine radio, which I think you keep on Channel 68 to monitor traffic (that will be corrected by others if I am off base), and I know that some kayakers will go on I believe Channel 16 to talk with say one of the Waterway ferries before transiting a docking location.
Best,
Rick