[NYCkayaker] circumnavigating Manhattan

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 14:30:07 EDT 2013

Quick note that Channel 13 is the open "bridge to bridge" channel. 16
for emergencies. 17 can be used to talk directly to law enforcement and
such, off of the general chatter. 68 is useful within groups, along
with a few other channels.

HarborLAB (www.harborlab.org) will circumnavigate Manhattan tonight
from LIC as a benefit for the American Foundation for Suicide
Prevention. Sunset to sunrise and under a great full moon.

Best regards,

Erik

Sent from my Windows Phone From: Rick Muller
Sent: 6/22/2013 11:32 AM
To: nyckayaker@rockandwater.net
Subject: Re: [NYCkayaker] circumnavigating Manhattan
George - I don't know if you've heard back from anyone back channel -
I hope so. If not I didn't want you to think we are not hospitable
here. Your experience and preparation sound rock-solid and your plan
to come down the Hudson and go up the East and Harlem with the flood
tide are just what the doctor ordered. I've never done a circ, but
there are plenty of folks on the list who have. You are correct about
the big-boat traffic, but the only really dicey part is down by the
Battery with the Staten Island ferry. There are also NY Waterway
ferries, which can come barreling out of the embayment at around 38th
Street on the west side, for example, so it's always good to take a
peek at the activity in the embayment before crossing. But as long as
you stay near the pierhead line (without getting too close so you
avoid eddies and old piles under the surface) you should be fine. I
would just mention a marine radio, which I think you keep on Channel
68 to monitor traffic (that will !
 be corrected by others if I am off base), and I know that some
kayakers will go on I believe Channel 16 to talk with say one of the
Waterway ferries before transiting a docking location.
Best,
Rick