[NYCkayaker] circumnavigating Manhattan

Susan Windle theq63@aol.com
Sat Jun 22 23:45:04 EDT 2013

Both Bob and Erik are correct that VHF Channel 13 is great channel to monitor for big boat vessel-to-vessel talk--and to hail if really necessary.

I think what Rick meant is that NY Waterways use Channels 69 & 71 (both recreational-use channels) to talk amongst themselves. I think they use 69 above Gansevoort and 71 south of it, but I could have that reversed. I have found it better to use these channels when hailing NY Waterways, especially when trying to cross one of their busy embayments at rush hour or without a favorable current. They are very accommodating to kayakers these days. And George, watch out for white tent-like shelters along the water. They are usually an indication of a ferry dock.

Best,
Su Windle

Sent from my iPhone