[NYCkayaker] kayaker in the shipping channel under the VZ bridge

Nancy Brous nbrous@gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 12:22:36 EDT 2013

This is an excellent point.  The sport is growing so fast and in so
many directions including kayak fishing and SUP paddling that what
felt like a fairly connected community of non-motorized boaters in
this region a few years ago (i used to know almost everyone i ran into
on the water around NYC) has grown into a much larger cast of
characters, many of whom are not in this or any other loop where
safety and security information is shared.
Ray, Jeff Folmsbee, and others worked on these great Clear Channel
videos that advise boaters about safely sharing the harbor.  I dont
have the original link at hand but with their permission the videos
are embedded at http://www.nycwatertrail.org/clear_channel.html and
the link is there as well.
When you meet other boaters, please try to spread the word that this
type of info is out there and readily accessible and also convey the
importance of making connections with communities of boaters for the
sharing of information.
It needn't be the nycwta website you direct people to, it could be any
of the great ones out there, including paddling.net, or any of the
local clubs' sites, but the people who buy a boat or a board and throw
it in the water without doing their homework or benefiting from
other's' experience are a danger to themselves, to others, and to our
continued free access to the waters without licensing or other onerous
regulations.