[NYCkayaker] Fwd: A Message from Museum President Susan Henshaw Jones

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 16:47:07 EDT 2013

Sad news for those who haven't heard.

Relatedly:  http://www.saveourseaport.org

Erik

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: South Street Seaport Museum <info@seany.org>
Date: Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Subject: A Message from Museum President Susan Henshaw Jones
To: erikbaard@gmail.com

Dear Friend:

There have been lots of stories in newspapers this week about a very sad
decision: that the Museum of the City of New York will no longer run the
South Street Seaport Museum. On July 5th, I will cease to be President of
the Seaport Museum, a position that I have greatly enjoyed.

During the City Museum's time at the Seaport Museum, all of us -- the South
Street Museum Board of Trustees, the Museum of the City of New York
trustees, the small but mighty staff at the Seaport Museum led by Jerry
Gallagher, Jonathan Boulware, and Sarah Landreth and all the City Museum
managers who did double duty -- put in a valiant effort. It looked as if
our strategy was working -- and then Sandy engulfed us.

Sandy ravaged our building systems and more. FEMA considers the Seaport
Museum a "nonessential nonprofit" and there is no clear path to receiving
"mitigation" funding -- that is, funding that would enable a move of the
systems to a higher floor. At the same time, FEMA funding will take years
to receive. Thus, there is no timeframe for the reopening of the Museum's
galleries at 12 Fulton Street.

I want to assure you, though, that climate control has been restored for
the John Street building that houses a large bulk of the collections. They
are in a stable environment.

For Seaport Museum members, certain benefits will still be in effect after
July 5th: a $10 discount on tickets for public sails in New York Harbor
aboard schooner *Pioneer* -- through October 15th; 10% discounts at Bowne &
Co., Stationers and Bowne Printers; and free admission to the Museum of the
City of New York for the length of the membership and a 10% discount on
purchases at the City Museum shops.

I attach a list
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_ur6XtAOCCH5pBpHzRoehtbU2HKGk7wo9Gcf0ndM_uEricBHJV0StFmxbotdAttfzYsLY2xXgYVXI2tbL43f8Vl6BPO_4X6k_wxu8oH1WJG7nMEk1W1InJPCQVC-cEvdawN-T1E3W0o0nyhd0BykxlWjg200ptsxXuEpq--azCLxJneromQpIO19OzGbfRdXekU0y7ZYOF8=>of
what we see as our initiatives and accomplishments since October, 2011,
when we all began. Certainly, we hope that work on *Ambrose* and
*Wavertree*will continue.

In closing, I thank you for believing in our cause, as evidenced by your
support, and I am so very sorry to disappoint! Come visit many of us at the
City Museum.

Sincerely,

Susan Henshaw Jones

President

     [image: Connect with the South Street Seaport Museum] [image:
Facebook]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_ur6XtAOCCEdsiDPHst1jcoZ-dDd65OeT32GaJxtyazzXwRq0gIcXGfhoHWoyg65rladOtTY1_MrfYYdaQ-09-j4n5-tysALnUO0iPFiJczMuJrZcnO15E2r_9oy9u3FE-qsVvPAttec0YZ3HxKsOQ==>
[image:
Twitter]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_ur6XtAOCCF5HYsj-YuoDn1k3B5MdmX-fTPEgdfLGM9QehIEzWTKkO8harRsVC-K8iHgKCF4H8chRNaAig0ospVYv0WnA8PnBHkxdFxOkuVACvM-GkwzazuabOBdFq4P>
[image:
YouTube]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_ur6XtAOCCEwLCUUp8PCipsmZPJUw9VHZHiGPwEX7_UFCRvvNow_8bonYTIMDvCg3vbBUdnBNwfgFS27fqpYHJHLcMursKARjLmeFPPMbIsbVcWodOEHRDeZcOIsnwXa007gmAvGLZ4B025iktdBBSL0tXbW_WyO>
email<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=4pcqx8iab&m=1109032176127&ea=erikbaard%40gmail.com&a=1113966380748>

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=001ViWYo43iytTsuJu-V8KWg2YYNIZ6n3Mw&t=001FklHgCnngtrtinWRpJIEzw%3D%3D&llr=4pcqx8iab>
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_OFR_001>
This email was sent to erikbaard@gmail.com by info@seany.org |
Update Profile/Email
Address<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&mse=001ViWYo43iytTsuJu-V8KWg2YYNIZ6n3Mw&t=001FklHgCnngtrtinWRpJIEzw%3D%3D&llr=4pcqx8iab>
SafeUnsubscribe<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=001ViWYo43iytTsuJu-V8KWg2YYNIZ6n3Mw&t=001FklHgCnngtrtinWRpJIEzw%3D%3D&llr=4pcqx8iab>™
| Privacy Policy <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.
South Street Seaport Museum | 12 Fulton Street | New York | NY | 10038

The 2011 Greenest New
Yorker<http://thebeat.iloveny.com/i-love-new-york-announces-the-2011-greenest-nyer-3604.html>
!

LEARNING ADVENTURE BOATING!
Founder, HarborLAB
http://www.facebook.com/HarborLAB

FREE APPLE TREES!
Founder, Newtown Pippin Restoration and Celebration
www.newtownpippin.org

FREE KAYAKING!
Founder, LIC Community Boathouse
www.licboathouse.org