[NYCkayaker] Special Initiative for Rebuilding and Resiliency--North Brooklyn meeting March 14

rob buchanan avironvoile@gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 19:47:33 EST 2013

This invite is for a March 14 meeting about Williamsburg, Greenpoint, DUMBO
and Long Island City and surrounding communities. There will also be a
meeting about Red Hook, Gowanus and Sunset Park on March 7.

Says Phil Musegaas of Riverkeeper: "I think it’s critical that we turn out
in strong numbers at these meetings, to let the city know there’s an active
constituency concerned about post-Sandy planning and interested in working
with the city to make sure it’s done right, to maintain and expand public
access, secure hazardous industrial materials on waterfront sites, and make
sure that whatever measures are taken are done equitably, and don’t
negatively affect one neighborhood or community to benefit another."

The Special Initiative for Rebuilding and Resiliency (SIRR) addresses how
we rebuild New York City to be more resilient in the wake of Hurricane
Sandy but with a long-term focus.

We invite you to join us for a facilitated conversation about how to
rebuild Williamsburg, Greenpoint, DUMBO and Long Island City. We are
looking for participants who are invested in this neighborhood now and for
the next generation. There is also a meeting for Red Hook/Gowanus/Sunset
Park on March 7.

        SIRR Williamsburg/Greenpoint/DUMBO/LIC Public Workshop
        March 14, 2013
        Program begins at 7:00 pm
        P.S. 132
        320 Manhattan Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11211
        P.S. 132 Phone (718) 599-7301

Directions:
        By Train:
        L TRAIN (Graham Ave.)
        G TRAIN (Metropolitan Ave. Transfer to L TRAIN)

        By Bus:
        B24 BUS (Metropolitan Ave. & Lerner St.)
        B 43 (Graham Ave & Metropolitan Ave.)

We begin with a brief introduction of SIRR and will have break-out
sessions to discuss priorities for rebuilding Northern Brooklyn and
Long Island City to be more resilient in the face of future storms and
long-term climate change.

To RSVP:
        By email: RSVPWaterFrontMarch14@nycsirr.org
        Include the full name and email (if available) of each guest.

        By phone: (212) 618-5745 Leave the name of each guest
        and say "for March 14 Waterfront"