[NYCkayaker] {NYCWTA} Natural shoreline strengthening? | HarborLAB

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:38:55 EDT 2013

  I should add from observation, but no schooling, mulberries seem to
thrive in harsh conditions.

Erik

Sent from my Windows Phone
 ------------------------------
From: Erik Baard <erikbaard@gmail.com>
Sent: 3/26/2013 3:31 PM
To: nyckayaker@rockandwater.net; nyc-water-trail@googlegroups.com
Subject: {NYCWTA} Natural shoreline strengthening? | HarborLAB

  Hi All,

HarborLAB is considering ways it might strengthen its waterfront without
bulkhead work. One solution is, of course, plantings. We prefer indigenous
species that might serve to also provide habitat.

Given that some of you might have similar goals, I'm sharing this.

NY State DEC Forester Garrett Koplun provided the list of salt-tolerant
native plants linked below, plus added insights. My chief partner at New
York Restoration Project writes that this list jibes with his.

http://harborlab.org/2013/03/26/natural-shoreline-strengthening/

Best regards,

Erik Baard

Sent from my Windows Phone