[NYCkayaker] SUP's and pfd's - citations issued

baptowicz@comcast.net baptowicz@comcast.net
Wed May 15 15:44:39 EDT 2013

Ray:  Thanks for the info. Liberty Island can be a very tough place to paddle near. I had also left the Park one early AM and had a lovely paddle to Manhattan. But the wind kicked up on return in the early evening but much worse was all the tour boat traffic and they were all right at the edge of the restricted zone - right where I needed to paddle. I really didn't like being that close to several 100' foot boats in relatively heavy seas. I wish there was a narrow zone just for us.

Bruce Aptowicz

----- Original Message -----

From: "Ray Fusco" <Ray@rayfuscoinc.com>
To: "NYC Water Trail" <nyc-water-trail@googlegroups.com>, "nyckayaker post" <nyckayaker@rockandwater.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:56:37 AM
Subject: [NYCkayaker] SUP's and pfd's - citations issued

Hello everyone,

I attended the Harbor Ops meeting today and learned a few SUP paddlers launching from LIberty State Park ended up on LIberty Island.  They were picked up and written a citation for breach of the security zone and for not having a PFD's.

Please be diligent around security zones and for SUP paddlers - wear or at least bring your pfd.  SUP's have been recently classified as a vessel by USCG and you need a PFD on board.

thanks,
ray