[NYCkayaker] Liberty and Ellis Island Security Zones

Nancy Brous nbrous@gmail.com
Wed May 15 18:07:49 EDT 2013

the cans should be 150 yards away.  i got a ticket in 2002 for being too
close.
<<(4) Liberty and Ellis Islands. All waters within 150 yards of Liberty
Island, Ellis Island, and the bridge between Liberty State Park and Ellis
Island.>>  (from
http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/165-169-zones-york-zone-captain-port-19761316)
seems some of them are missing now, perhaps to replaced soon?  one appeared
2 weeks ago to be missing its cover - the white part that reads "security
zone" or whatever they say that differentiates these markers from other
aids to navigation - it was just the floating bit with no indication as to
what it was meant to indicate!
also, there is one between liberty and ellis that i am never sure which
side to pass - its sort of right in between the 2 islands.
we have been working for several seasons on convincing the authorities to
allow non-motorized vessels to pass under the bridge between ellis island
and NJ to provide a safe channel, but have been told this is a security
risk.

the area is VERY well trafficked and the water can get choppy even without
the wakes thrown by ferries and recreational and sightseeing boats.  its a
bad place to do a rescue so know your own skills and paddle with skilled
friends or guides.