[NYCkayaker] Landing at Liberty and Ellis Island

Erik Baard erikbaard@gmail.com
Fri May 17 13:40:37 EDT 2013

And grateful for it. Granted Governors Island is categorically quite
different, in terms of security perceptions, but our success there might be
encouraging. If we launched from a single site, stayed together as a group,
and volunteered our boats and selves for inspection before launch, rational
concerns might be satisfactorily addressed. I imagine an escort boat might
be involved.

Now I recognize this isn't an appealing scenario for many or perhaps most
kayakers. That's fine. In time, restrictions might ease. In any case, if
we're refused, there's no harm in further lobbying and no lives will be
lost in the effort. We might have a stronger case if we built an
educational element into the activity. At this point, given the significant
restrictions on all 365 days, we have little to lose.

Liberty Island has unexpected historical interest. Because the island is
forbidden, the western slope of it has a nice quantity of pottery, bricks,
glass, and other beautiful and fascinating detritus. Back in the mid-1990s,
a friend gathered bits of it while I floated a foot or two off shore.
Different times.

Erik

--

www.naturecalendar.com