[NYCkayaker] Great Swamp

Tom Hart th@tomhartphoto.com
Thu May 30 10:24:03 EDT 2013

Which Great Swamp?...headwaters of the Passaic
(http://www.fws.gov/refuge/great_swamp/ ) , Putnam county
(http://frogs-ny.org/) and their' s probably others.

For the headwaters of the Passaic I've paddled into it from long hill road
(657). There's fisherman's parking on the northwest side (bridge was down 2
years ago when I was there)....it's more of a stream like a slower pine
barrens stream. Sure there's plenty of water now after recent rains but
don't know what low water is.

Best Regards-
Tom Hart

-----Original Message-----
From: NYCKayaker [mailto:nyckayaker-bounces@rockandwater.net] On Behalf Of
Alan Bergman
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:31 PM
To: nyckayaker@rockandwater.net
Subject: [NYCkayaker] Great Swamp

For several years now, our paddling club has discussed kayaking on the Great
Swamp, yet we have not done so.  This time we are seriously looking at a
possible trip in mid-late July.

The four questions that we have are: 1) is that a good time of year to
paddle there? 2) does it make any difference launching in morning versus
afternoon? 3) what is the best put-in site?  4) should we paddle round-trip
or only in one direction and park cars at a take-out site?

Thanks kindly,
Alan Bergman
North Shore Kayak Club
Port Washington, NY
public service offered to the kayaking community by the Hudson River
Watertrail Association. Learn more about HRWA at www.hrwa.org